Are siblings of friends no-gos?

I was chit-chatting with the brother of one of my best friends and people wanted us to hook up, but although I find him very interesting I said no, because he is my friends brother. I felt it could strain our friendship.
What do you people think in general about those relations? No-go or not? Any experiences?

Most Helpful Guy

• It's a very fine line, if anything you should talk to your best friend first.
    Because if you guys break up, she'll just see you as the girl who hurt her brother.

What Guys Said 3

• Yea , definitely

• go for it why not

• Standing on shaky ground, my friend...

What Girls Said 2

• Ehh... tha'ts iffy. What does your friend think? If you guys tried it and it didn't work out, how would the relationship with that guy turn out considering your his best friends sister?

• I think that it's ok as long as your friend is ok with it. My brother married his best friend's sister...

• hah, that's a positive story! Very beautiful profile pic by the way ;-)

• I think you should only date a close friend's sibling if there is a real, genuine connection with the sibling and you are both taking dating each other seriously. You don't ever fuck around with friends' siblings.

My brother first asked his best friend if he would date his sister when he was 17 and his friend said hell no. He then moved away for a year and when he moved back he'd grown up quite a lot and was still crazy about her so he asked his friend again and, after much pleading, his friend finally said OK. They got engaged 3 years later :)