Definition of "Open Relationships"?

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 6

• Pretty much casual friends with benefits sex, but you'd feel bad about yourself if you just called it that.

• An open relationship was a term swingers used for years to describe what their relationships were its basicly y ou can fuk who you want but still be together its not easy and if you didn't start that what next tto near impossible to just suddenly watch your mate out with someone else but to actually have like a 3 sum I found it very hot to watch my girlfriend getting eating out by another dude but were close I probably would of suck him at least but didn't want people to hear about it but we fantasied above out it b4 we did it and mmmm omg it was hot in kinda mix emoition but it was probably good to face that fear all I know is I'd love it again rt now

• An open relationship is basically friends with benefits , however you may be living together, or even married with kids... but you're allowed to play with others...

• It's not a relationship, it's friends with benefits .

• Yes we're dating but I'm going to see other people too.

• Just like 'Live and let live', this is 'Fuck and let fuck' 😁😁

What Girls Said 8

• An open relationship is a non-exclusive/non-monogamous relationship.

There are many different types of open relationships. For example:

- Friends with benefits - you're friends who have sex with each other (note: friends with benefits can choose to be monogamous, but often they aren't)
    - polyamorous relationships - people who are in multiple romantic and/or sexual relationships. Poly relationships can take many different forms. Sometimes people have a "primary" partner, sometimes they don't. Also, not all poly relationships are "open", but many are. The difference between poly relationships and many other forms of open relationships is that it's not just about sex---you're free to love other people too.
    - swingers - two people who are in a relationship, but also engage in sex with other people (could be group sex, partner swaps, etc.).

All of these types of relationships can vary depending on the people involved. For example, in terms of what's allowed/what's not allowed. Or, for example, some couples have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy, whereas others are completely open and honest with each other.

Some myths about open relationships:

1. People in open relationships don't actually love each other or aren't committed to each other, or are necessarily "casual". - This is wrong. Many open relationships look exactly like a serious monogamous relationship in every way, except that they're free to have sex with other people. Some people include "monogamy" as part of their definition of "commitment", but I would argue that you can be serious about and dedicated to another person even if you aren't monogamous.

2. Open relationships are cheating. - Cheating is breaking the rules that you and your partner have set for your relationship. What people/couples consider to be cheating varies from person to person, or couple to couple. If a couple agrees that having sex with other people isn't cheating, then they aren't cheating because they aren't breaking any rules.

• To me, it's basically the same as friends with benefits, but I guess to those in an open relationship it's more intimate than that.

You're still able to sleep with or date whomever you want, while at the same time sleeping with or dating a partner.

• I consider it as two people in a relationship who are have allowed each other to have sexual relationships with other people.

Some people put stipulations on this: They have to know who the person is and make sure the person gets tested. Or it can only be a threesome type thing.

• May as well not be in one,,, the whole point of a relationship is commitment, open relationships don't have much commitment

• You're free to date other people or sleep with other people while being in a relationship yourself

• To me, it`s all the benefits of a relationship minus the total commitment. It varies from couple to couple, some have a few rules, some might have a lot and some might have none. There are people who like to "swing" and watch. So I guess it`s whatever you make it really.

• Someone who has a mutual agreement with their partner to sleep with other people outside of their relationship

• It's basically like being single except you go no regular dates with one the same person (as well as seeing others)