How far into your relationship?

How far into your relationship do you expect to be invited to family things? Does it depend on your ages time together? I have been with my 28 year old boyfriend for 4 years and I expect to always be invited considering we are both grown adults who should be taken seriously as a couple and after 4 years we work as a unit. So like Christmas and family vacations and such I expect to be invited how about you guys. Oh and don't say marriage because my boyfriend and I don't ever plan on getting married.

Most Helpful Girl

• I always thought this was such a cool concept before I started dating my boyfriend. Him and his mom dont see much of each other even though they live in the same house, and he doesn't do much with her. We've been dating for almost 6 months and I still dont know her and she doesn't really know anything about me mostly because she's not really interested. As for me, he met my guardian before we even started dating, he would come over and help me pack. I invited him to Christmas dinner at our friends house so they could meet him which was big. He also has come to every little event and Easter with us. This weekend we are going to California so he can meet some of my family. I dont really expect to be invited to his family stuff or to meet his family because he's not very close with them, he does invite me to everything his friends do together even if our schedules dont work out.

What Guys Said 4

• I expect to be invited after a month though I'm mostly invited even before that
    I think meeting the family is a good thing

• I would say anything more than 6 months and you should be inviting each other to family gatherings

• I don't expect shit.

• Personally, I wait at least a year before introducing her to the family. Once I introduce her, I expect her to be invited to family events by default.

What Girls Said 3

• It depends on the relationship and it depends on the other person. Sometimes families can be complicated. But personally, if I had not met the family or been invited to a family function after 6 months, that sends me a red flag. I don't necessarily get pissed off about it, but it does make me wonder why my guy hasn't invited me. By 4 years in, I would definitely expect to be going to all family things with him.

• I brought my boyfriend to Easter dinner, we had only been dating for three weeks. But then again he picked me up at school and brought me home, and I was staying at his house, so of course I would invite him.

• But before that, I had been dating my ex for five years and he always came to holidays with my family.

• I didn't expect anything when we first started out. We got together at Halloween and I was invited to Christmas at his parent's house and to their family the following August. His family is very nice! Mine on the other hand also does their best to include him in events but not vacations.

• Why not vacations? I would feel very weird if as 2 adults and after being together 4 years he went on family vacstions that didn't include me. At this stage of the game I expect him to see me as. part of his family unit.

• Oh OK that makes much more sensr now. A ladies only trip is something different. And if he doesn't wanna go that's a whole different story. I thought u meant like everyone in the wholeeee FAM is going buy he is the only one not invited.

• No if my Mom's side of the family ever had a whole Family trip then my boyfriend would be more than welcome to join us!