Girls, In highschool/college would you date a guy without a job?

It kinda seems like working is nessicary - I don't wanan get into personals but I wanted to know what girls generally think

If you DO date a guy who isn't working - are there any major drawbacks? Is it a huge deal that you go out and buy stuff? Is there anything like makes you overlook a job? (like a dude being a stud?)

any general thoughts help, thanks

12

Most Helpful Girl

• I tried dating a guy (he told me he was going to be joining the military soon, before we first started going out), but after a year and half, it really got to me. All he did was sleep until 4pm-6pm, stay up until 7am and play video games. I was going to school, and asked if he was interested, maybe like with a GI bill or something. He said school wasn't for him, so I said ok that's no problem.

I did ask him how the recruitment was going, and if he picked a branch yet. In the beginning he was so ambitious and excited, and that was a turn on for me. Well, after the one year mark and nothing, he said he didn't even want to try to enlist. I tried to be supportive, and asked if he had any of ideas of what he'd like to do but he said no.

3 months after that, I found out all he does is sit in his mom's house while she worked double shifts and he masturbate with other people online in video games. That was such a disappointment.

If a guy doesn't have a job, but he has ambition and is willing to try hard, if not for his dream job at least try to do something, then that is good to me. Don't have to go out and spend money to have a good time with the person you care for. Walking (around the neighborhood or at a park), stargazing, riding bicycles, cuddling & watching Netflix, playing video or board games... all of that is really fun to me and what I'd like to do.

• I have two friends like that... One works at starbucks but just gets hammered every day and pays for like 25% of his rent while his dad pays for the rest

thanks for the insight

What Girls Said 11

• Maybe they don't have a job because they help out with younger siblings, or their parents give them money so they don't have to work to concentrate on school, etc. As long as he can pay his own way on dates and things, I don't think someone in high school not having a job is a big deal.

• Thing is, how much is enough? I have like an extra $40 a week I can spend on that stuff (if that)

• I think a lot of girls would understand your position, trying to make it through school. You'll probably meet someone in a similar position at your age. Most college-aged kids don' t have a bunch of money. Can't comment on the smoking and tripping part haha But, there are plenty of free things to do, especially is you're near a city, just have to be creative.

• Im "near" boston but my town is the most boring area on earth. Like we have 4 restaurants you can go to and 3 of them are super expensive. You can't even walk anywhere and the towns tiny. Thanks for the insights though :)

• Yeah, I would if I liked him.

• Nol. I'm not footing your bill. I'm not one of those women who will pay everything for their man because he has a dick. Some women will and that's fine.

• Women usually expect the man to pay BECAUSE he has a dick...

• Um, actually men are socially obligated to ask out women. Do some research, even on GaG, it's pretty agreed upon that most women want guys to approach them (act of confidence and chivalry) and girls don't usually need to approach the guy. "If he likes me he'll approach"

Just because there's an equality movement - doesn't mean people's opinions have changed. Now everything is just politically correct. 80%+ of women who are dating don't approach men

• Also you're saying he has to pay for your time, rather than you seeing it as a nice dude who gets to know you better. You seem like you have a lot of expectations but at the same time you say there aren't social obligations anymore..

Whens the last time you asked a guy out?

• I don't expect a guy to have soon in university if he's serious about school

• the only way I would date a guy without a job is if school was his job and all he did was study to get good grades and to get/keep a merit scholarship. another exception would be avidly looking for one, which I could understand.

• Yesss 100% as long as he's a full time student like me!!

• Yea bc it's not necessary yet if you're busy

• He needs some type of job.

• Just a question - do you?

• k thanks for your input!

• I mean if I really liked him then yes but hopefully he'll find a job later on

• Yes. That is if he doesn't have the time. If he does nothing all day and isn't looking for a job, then no. I honestly don't like a guy paying for me because I feel bad. So unless they insist or I feel it would hurt their pride, I pay for myself. A lot of girls prefer doing stuff that doesn't require a lot of money. You can go to the beach and pack a lunch/dinner. Bring towels to lay on and have fun. I'd prefer that over an expensive dinner any day. If you ask her to pay for you all the time, then that's different. Don't plan something if you can't pay for it.

• Yeah, most high school/college guys don't have jobs