Is it okay to date my best friend's ex?

The two of them dated for a while, about five months, and never had sex, but the relationship ended on a bad note. My best friend was kinda mean to him and his family really didn't like her so they broke up about a month ago. Now, her ex and I have always been pretty good friends, but at prom, we found a connection and talk all the time. I know this makes me found like a really shitty friend, but... I really like him. Dating him just makes so much SENSE to me. Our moms are best friends, our younger brothers hang out all the time, we are both from military families, and were literally identical kids, more books than friends. Our families are even going skiing together over Christmas. To make things even more complicated, we are all seniors and about to head off to college, her to Colorado and the ex and I to the northeast. Is it okay to casually pursue this relationship or do I need to back off completely?

Most Helpful Girl

• To me it's only wrong if the relationship ended because your friend was betrayed or cheated on or otherwise wronged by the ex. Considering he didn't do anything wrong to her, and it was mainly just because they didn't get along well, I see no problem with it.

BUT don't be sneaky about it or try to hide it from her. Maybe even talk it over with her beforehand. If she's a reasonable person she shouldn't flip out or act like you dating him is a total betrayal or some melodramatic crap like that. If she IS immature like that then, well, whatever. It literally makes zero sense to let the feelings of an unreasonable person influence or control you or your decisions in any way.

What Guys Said 3

• It depends if your best friend is okay with it.

• Are you all okay with that?

• I agree talk to your best friend about it.

What Girls Said 1

• You really should be asking your best friend this question, instead of some strangers on GAG. If she's ok with it, go for it! I mean she's gonna find out eventually, and it's better you tell her upfront and ask how she feels about it. If she doesn't like the two of you dating, you may have to make a difficult decision...