What do you think about finding a boyfriend or girlfriend online?

So I saw the ad on the site and read questions about going on plenty of fish or other online sites .

my friend found her fiance online

and when I do go on there --there are people that do go searching for a mate.

So do you think the people that go on there..--do you think they are desperate? or do you think it's just easier to zoom down on potential?

i just want to hear your opinion. and I'm rather carious on what people's views and what they have to say.

so I'm open for any comments/feedback/stories.

• No I wouldn't do it.
  • Yes-i've done it or considered it.
  • Other -if so what are your thoughts?
Just another note is that I'm not dating anyone online --I'm just carious because I hear so many people dating people online my own friend found her mate online and I don't know if you look at the profiles on the dating sites.. ..it's just I don't know .
and say you met someone online and you end up hangout in person. ..I've known some friends who have done that too... so like I said I'm open for thoughts. and opinions. ..it's just something rather interesting for me at the moment to ponder upon.
oh btw thanks for commenting ..

and would you consider it? y or why not?

Most Helpful Guy

• From my point of view internet dating and using the internet to find that special someone has its ups and downs, it doesn't have to mean that you're desperate it may just mean that you want to see what's out there or it could be that you find it hard meeting people face to face and the net is somewhere where you can be yourself and have the courage to meet people. One of the down sides is that people can lie on these dating sites and they may not always be the person they said they were which makes the whole process slightly unreliable but as you've said and has been proved before it is possible to meet Mr/miss right through these sites. Yes I think it can be good in the sense that you can cut out what you don't want and be selective about who you find and talk too.

I hope this has been of some use and answered some of you're questions.

Luke.

What Guys Said 20

• I'm one of those people that believe that "dating is a numbers game." You like her; she doesn't like you. She likes you; you don't like her. Even when both people like each other, there's all kind of things that have to line up before you're actually in a relationship. I believe in anything that will up the number of people to go out with is a good thing. (Just for the record: I'm not implying this is a good way to put notches in your bed post. If that's what you're thinking, I wouldn't recommend online dating.)

I've used several dating sites to meet people. I've never come close to a relationship with an online someone, but I've had more good dates than bad. Some of these dates have been colorful and interesting to put it mildly; I have some great "date stories" from people I met online. I don't know if they host the "speed dating" events in your area, but I really like these events. Again, I've never had a relationship from someone I met "speed dating," but I've never had a bad date with someone I met at speed dating event.

This is view of someone in his 30's and very selective when it comes to relationships. I've dated a lot. I've swam more laps in the dating pool than I care to admit, and, not counting my ex-wife, I've only had three relationship that lasted for more than a year. Not everyone is like me; so, take my answer for what it's worth.

• I will admit the world can be a scary place at times and this includes people you might meet online, however just like meeting people offline, sometimes you will meet really nice people online and sometimes not. I must confess I met my wife online and am very happy with her. So yes it is possible to meet that special someone online. Just try and keep in mind the human factor, that being that people are people and sometimes you will meet some winners as well as some less than desireable people.

• I met a girl online, and we've been going out for the last few months. I don't think it's desperation- sometimes, good people have a hard time meeting opposite gender for valid reasons. For example, she comes from a very conservative family and I don't have many females in my workplace.

People exaggerate a lot online-anonymity gives us a licence. Most people are fairly honest, but we all want to portray ourselves in the best possible light right? I advertised myself as a fun-loving Casanova and ambitious daredevil online, and had long discussions on literature with an interested girl online. When she met me, she discovered I'm more a dreamer (with a hidden daring streak) - not what she expected at all. But we still had the shared interests so we clicked , had a great time and continue to date.

I'd suggest talking first with someone before dating. If you converse easily, then a real date most likely won't be awkward. Also, when meeting, be prepared for a few surprises - people often differ from their online personas.

One other point: if you hook up with someone online, you usually have no common friends or social circle. For me, it's a plus - common friends can often mess up a relationship with gossip, mate-stealing or disapproval. But I guess it might make some people uncomfortable.

• Good point about desperation, it may depend on the particular dating site, but you'll find most people you meet online are not desperate at all. I think online dating can be a pretty bold move. Not a lot of people want to go through life answering the question "where did you meet" with the answer "Internet." LOL.

• I know because I certainly don't want to tell people that I met my other half online. But I agree with "outofmyelement43" and AmirA" said

• Dating online is not so bad, I actually found a decent relationship from it once .. it didn't workout in the end but it was productive. Many people will tell you there are a lot of psychos online but I find that to be somewhat un true. its just like everything just be careful. I have been contemplating going back online to search for a life partner ... its more of an embarrassment deal than anything else people tend to think if you online you are unable to get a decent girl in person.. I assure you that is not the case.. some people don't have the time to go out and meet people of the opposite sex and online dating is a great way to meet someone.

• I think the chances of you finding someone online is very slim. Most, if not all people, are lying and pretending to be something they are not. It's very hard to have trust in any relationship, and being online makes it even worse. Your best bet is to date someone close to you in real life.

It's not to say I don't believe that internet dating can work, but it's simply harder.

• Y is that people go seeking mates online is it really because they can't or feel like they can't met anyone, desperate? or they rather just make it easier to select one?

• Its easier to meet people online, cause you know the other people on there are also "looking" for someone. and you can look at people's profiles & find out important information before going out (i.e. do you they smoke, want children, etc...)

• Depends on the other party. I've had really intense on-line relationships with good women, not sluts. Somehow an on-line relationship can be more intense than a real one.

Your mileage may vary.

Ted

• Have you met them in person?

• It can work, but only use the online part for arranging a date. If you want a relationship in real life, meet this person you're chatting with as soon as possible after contacting them.

• I'd prefer finding a boyfriend in person. Something about meeting people online scares me. But I respect y and can see why some would want to seek for someone online even if it's not intended upon.

• I know right? Some people claim to have an online relationship w/o meeting them.. ..*shurgs*

the world is filled with interesting people.

and I mean isn't relationships in general about the physical and emotional connection? but yeah..

• You can have an emotional connection to a coffee cup if you want :D

But you cannot know what a person is like without meeting them.

• It could be a good idea but you need to watch out for people that lure you in to bad places. It's a chance you have to take if your willing. Woman are more prone to getting in to those situations. be careful.

• I agree. us women are more prone to the online thing. and guys ehh I mean they can but the chances aren't too high.

• The online dating community can be a great thing, I think so because, you can talk with a bunch of different people and get allot of things out of the way before you ever set up a date. The only problem in my experience with this, is that people, especially guys are not always honest an up front about everything, which of course will lead to problems down the road that could have been worked out or delt with in the beginnig.

My motherfound her second husband on a christian singles dating site, it took her a while to sort through those that are fake and liars (example: posting photos that are not recent) but if you have a good sense about people, I believe there is love to be found online.

• Dating online will get you as many different findings as you would find fish in the ocean. I would warn that there are more messed up people searching online than now. Please, should you decide to date someone from online, look for the red flags and don't ignore them. Your subconscious is telling you something that you need to pay attention to. Try the free sites first. I found my beaux on "webdate dot com." Good luck.

• i might consider dating someone on the internet. I wouldn't look up potential dates but if I just happened to find someone I would see how it would work out. I'm not totally against it but I wouldn't make it my only source of dating either.

• I met my fiancee online through MySpace, purely by accident. I don't know about dating sites because I've never used them, but I don't think there's anything wrong with finding a boyfriend or girlfriend online. if you're lucky enough to find someone really amazing, who cares where you met them?

• Theres a great possibility that you might find a good guy online and dating him in person after you guys chat for a while on webcam so you make sure that he's a real person and not fake.

in my case I would do it because I travel a lot and working overseas doesn't make it easy.

• Lulz. Internets dataing. There are not girls on the internet.

• this can help you but not everyone is lucky to find what kind they want..but must giv it a try

• This is really a uphill task

• I don't see anything wrong with it. My current girlfriend is over the net. Today is our 3 month and it's going awesome. :)

• Do you feel as if finding a girlfriend online is more -----what's the world like --special? --b/c it's through the net and the chances of finding the right person and running into someone you like is slim .....

• think about it: the internet is a place we can be completely annonymous, so there's no risk in being our true selves.

• Bogus!Get out and get some!

• My dad actually uses Plenty of Fish and he's found lots of people that he ended up dating, my dad's sort of a swinger. Got married once and I think that's it. I suppose if I end up losing the ability to go out and find someone, I'd use something like Plenty of Fish.

What Girls Said 16

• relationships that occur when you're looking for them rarely work out, since you are more apt to just take anything for the sake of being in a relationship. you're want for a companion blinds you to all their faults.

• Good point about trying so hard, that one accepts someone completely incompatible. Wanting to make extra effort isn't bad though, if done to a reasonable extent. One is more willing to make compromises, work past faults, accept people as they are. One should maintain standards, but it's also true that there are very few perfect people out there.

• I know a couple of people that have met their spouses or boyfriends online. My only recommendation is that you make sure that they are for real. If you meet them on MySpace, make sure that they keep it updated and it's not a fake profile. Don't find love on Craigslist. Go to a trusted site, such as EHarmony or one of those dating sites that are a bit more personal and professional. Have fun. =]

• I don't think people are necessarily desperate but are seeking out new ways to find their "soulmate". And also people tend to go with fads. In some cases it is probably desperation. I have attempted it myself, and didn't even last a week. I found it really superficial; and you don't know who is really genuine, although paying sites promise you theh people there are who they say.

I'm more old-fashioned and a traditional girl and rather "bump into" "him" in a deli or supermarket or somewhere I wouldn't expect it. I believe more along the lines in letting it happen naturally and what's meant to be, will be.

You can really meet so many people on regular community sites, Facebook, ms, so on.. without looking "desperate" on a dating site if that's what concerns you. But honestly I don't really appreciate when these sites are used for that purpose also. If it happens "naturally" OK.. but to go there only to seek it out... well then it's also the same thing as the dating site IMO.

• well I moved from a big city to the country after school so it was crazy to go from always going out and finding guys easy...or them finding me lol. to not going out and not being in school and not knowing anyone. I dint have many friends who live close by and there is not much going on so online is a good place to find people going through the same thing. also online you can let it be known up front what you want so only people who are interested talk to u. but watch out for red flags, as with anything. some people think they can be anyone they want to be online so they lie...alot. but there are many non desperate people out there.

• What I think is that dating someone online is really bad because you could be dating a 88 year old man or woman for all you know. So my answer would be no not to date online. They could be desperate but they may think you are unless you don't care what other people think about you.

• Do you think that people that want to find a mate online are more for people older younger? and of a specific race/nationality/ethnicity ?

do you think females or males are more into the online thing?

• Yes there is the chance that online people are lying about their age, race, etc but the only thing different than meeting at a bar or where ever is the physical. A person can still lie about age, background, career, etc. when they meet someone in "real" life. I think a person should be safe no matter where they meet a potential partner.

• I say if there is a chance to meet potential is in a classroom (if situation permits it) or maybe friends of friends... .. and maybe @ work.

• I know its supposed to be a big no no...but I met my boyfriend on Myspace lol...we talked on there forever and finally met in person. We met through one of those apps Kiss Me...I clicked on his picture and he sent me a message the next day. we have been dating for a year on November 5th...and its been great...so I don't think that all people that find love online are desperate but some are...

• I think, sadly, our world revolves around this kind of "community" now where it's acceptable and normal. It's still a little creepy to me. Not only could you end up with a serial killer searching out girls, but there are a number of ways it could go bad or turn out dangerous. On a good note, I think it's easier to get to know people over the internet than at a bar!

• No, because my friend's sister found her husband on match.com. He is a doctor who lives in TX. She has a masters in economics. He's really rich, born with money. She is as probably as pretty as a model. They are expecting their first child soon.

• Oh wow. Congrats to them!

• Bad idea. You can't trust anyone on the internet these days, and the fact that someone would sign up to a dating website shows they are desperate, in my opinion. Sure people have found their "soulmates" through MySpace or dating websites, but what about the others who have encountered pedos or creeps who tricked them into thinking they were someone else. Are you willing to take that risk?

• Hey "twilighfan123" I know this is a bit off topic but have you seen new moon?!

I just saw it! and I loved it! OMG it was amazing!!!

makes me want to go see it again!

• Lol I'm cool with you not trusting me Dank, because I don't trust you either. Ooooooooo, haha

@QuestionAsker: Ya the only entertainment I got out of that movie was getting a giant ass view of Taylor Lautner's body. Dayum, that boy is fine. lol

• Yeah Taylor does have a nice body hehhe. how he took off his shirt --they make him look so cheezy and like one of those underwear models hehhe but yea.. the book was way better tho.

• i recently met my boyfriend on PoF... :) it can work out

• Have u? Does he live around you too?

• Yeah he lives in my city. We started chatting online for a few days, then met up at Starbucks... and every day after that. :)

• ur taken a chance that way..alot of nuts out there..best way is thru friends work or you see something you like..just go ask em out... some men love that

• I know right? ...idk. it's just a big world in the online realm hehhe

• well I wouldn't think it was ment to be because it could be anyone

• Personally, I would be embarassed to tell my friends and family that I met my boyfriend online.

• I would too --

but after taking this poll and asking this question I've come to realized that there are lots of people that have done or consider doing it---

it's like the new "fad" or new "trend" for the generation these days. --

but I don't have anything against what people do. .. Nothing going to judge them. but It's rather foreign to me -i'd say?

• i fell in love with a guy I met online. =] we met 3 years ago and we still going strong =]

• Many people say after one bad experiance(or story they've heard from someone else) that online dating is a bad thing. Well, it really isn't. Yes, those dating sites, and social networking sites can be sketchy but they aren't the only way to meet people online. Do you like a certain book, movie, or video game? What about a series? Or maybe you're into writing, or fashion, or science...? Sign up for a forum that deals with those sorts of things, you'll make friends who share your interests, and more than likely find a guy or girl who you have a lot in common with and develop a relationship beyond your computer screen. I've done this, and I have become quite close to one of my friends, so close that we've decided to start a long distance relationship. It's always best to look for people you share things in common with, take things slow, and be as honest as you can even if there's a screen seperating you two. That doesn't mean it isn't going to work out. The reason why a large portion of these relationships fail is because of lies, lack of commitment, or rushing into things. Like meeting someone in a bar, you don't ask them to marry you four months later. Take the time, get to know one another, and online relationships can lead to strong healthy relationships outside the virtual world.

• No I wouldn't one of my cousins started dating someone online, she did'nt waste anytime. had a baby with the guy ended up he was a looser does'nt help take care of his son,doesn't want to get a job. In my opinion don't do it.