Guys, how early is too early to talk to a guy your dating about being exclusive?

I've been dating a guy for a couple months now and when we first started dating he said he's looking for a relationship and wants things between us to go well. I sort of want to ask if he's talking to other girls not to get angry or yell just simply to see if he's still looking for other girls so I know how invested to get at this point. First question is: if a guy is still searching for other options does that mean it's already doomed or just what girls and guys do until they have the exclusive talk?
Second question: how early is too early to bring up the conversation of being exclusive?
I know this all sounds a bit strange.. I've been cheated on in the past and don't want to invest too much if it's a ticking time bomb.

6

Most Helpful Guy

• ... I think you could talk about being exclusive at 1st date, if that's your thing (the other person might not be interested of course, but many would...) Several months in? Yeah, by all means, that's long enough.

I've never been one to date more than one person at a time? (maybe not for long...) So no answer for that part :p

What Guys Said 5

• I don't know about this exclusivity thing... I always figured by the third date you were kind of into one another, so I would never be dating anyone else after that in behidn the scenes.

Call me old fashioned, but I can't juggle women like they are objects until I figure out which one I want to date. I like to give 100 percent to that one person.

If it does not work out, then I don't want it to have to tell a girl that I am not interested in her because I have someone in the background.

• If It has been a few months its definitely fair if you want to know where you stand with him. I would say by a few months in he should have a pretty clear idea if he wants to be with you long term or not.

Just go ahead and have the conversation. If you are both on the same page it will give you peace of mind. If not then you may want to consider moving on.

• It's never doomed until it's over. As long as he is willing to work on the relationship, you have a chance of being "the one." It is never too early to talk about the future and what you would like, as long as you are not demanding. I think a few months into a relationship is definitely not too soon. Ask about what HE wants. That will tell you a lot about what to expect without seeming pushy.

~James Smith

• guess at least 6 months should have passed ;-)

• I think you can go straight in and start to discuss that. See whether what you both want matches up :)