I think this is a red flag?

I'm so new to dating, I was in a rship for many years and now I'm single and dating. One thing that I've learned is that when someone tells you who they are, pay attention to them! So with this guy, there are a few things that he's ssid that make me go hmm, but this comment in particular rubbed me the wrong way. I am Caucasian, he is Mexican. He told me he has a confession to make. Hmm, ok? He said that he "sometimes makes fun of white people, but no worries, mainly white men" I don't know what he's trying to tell me. I do know that he has hardly any Caucasian friends. His comment made me uneasy because it was random and I'm not sure why he felt the need to tell me this. I wonder how he would feel if I said that about Mexican women? Is this a red flag? I feel like he was warning me, but in a nonchalant way.

Most Helpful Guy

• Of curse it's a big deal. Racist is Racist. In order to be a racist you have to have a serious lack of empathy and probably a measure of hate as well to an entirely arbitrary group of people, is that really someone you want to build your life with? or trust your heart too?

What Guys Said 4

• "sometimes makes fun of white people, but no worries, mainly white men" <---- smells like racist... better avoid :/

• This guy's a total racist. The dirty little secret of America is that minorities are a lot more discriminatory against white people than white people are against them for the simple reason that they can get away with it. And they get away with it because white liberals who are wracked with white guilt think it's appropriate to accept all manner of punishment from minority groups.

• He might've just been warning you for his odd sense of humour, in which case you won't have anything to worry about.

Have you never made jokes about mexicans? Like, what's the difference between an aspirin and a mexican?

• You're between 36-45 asking this? Is this the first time you encountered racism or something?

What Girls Said 2

• Hey, I make fun of white people too, and I'm white. He might just be making sure you're aware, just in case it's something you'd get offended at. But y'know, jokes about white people can honestly be pretty accurate, and they really don't harm anyone, especially on the level that jokes against actual minorities harm people.

• You're an idiot. What you're saying is a ridiculous double standard, that it's ok to engage in discriminatory speech against one group but not against another. You have a terminal case of white guilt.

• @HikerDude: I assure you that I'm perfectly well informed, and certainly less of an idiot than someone who seems to think being incredibly aggressive and insulting right off the bat will be a good argumentational strategy.

Look, the facts are that yes, some groups that are now considered white used to be pretty heavily oppressed. However, the thing is that back when signs like the one you posted were prevalent, those people weren't even considered white. Race isn't as nearly as rigid as we pretend it is. So my points about white people still stand.

And those white people who wish they had it "as good" as black people are severely ignorant and misinformed.

One more strike.

• Also, my three strikes is perfectly reasonable. I don't want to waste my time arguing with people who don't understand how one conducts a proper debate. If you have a problem with that, fine, but you've gotta realize that I don't actually give a shit about the opinions of people like you.

• Is he telling you he's racist?