Guys, how do I get out of a potential date?

So to start, I have a boyfriend. But there's this guy in my class that has been talking to me for the past like week. After class today we were walking together cause we were going in the same direction and he asked me if I would get coffee with him sometime. Not thinking he meant anything romantic by it at first I just said yes even though I didn't really want to cause I hate rejecting people. But then I kinda started to wonder if he did just mean it as friends cause he's kinda flirty with me sometimes. I panicked and I said wait I have to work after school today so rain check. And he said okay cool and I walked away really fast and now I don't know what to do cause he doesn't know I have a boyfriend so I don't want to say anything just for him to be like I didn't mean it as a date, but I can't not tell him if he does mean it as a date! What should I do?

Also, we sit by each other in class so I really don't want to do anything that's gonna make the rest of the year awkward

11

Most Helpful Guy

• Just bring up your boyfriend in general convo and be sure to mention just how awesome he is at being your boyfriend. If that doesn't work, suggest hooking him up with a friend of yours. Another option would be to take your boyfriend to get coffee with said 'flirter'. If he doesn't get the point after you've employed all of these tactics, tell him you have an STD OR, as a last resort, have your boyfriend stomp a mud hole in him then kick it dry?

What Guys Said 10

• guess as a friends... unless he suggests something else after coffee :)

• I would tell him right now that you have a boyfriend. This way he knows from day one. This way you can respect your relationship and he can respect it as well

• I'm confused, you already told him that you couldn't go out with him.

Tell him to add you on instagram or facebook. This is the easiest way to show him you have a boyfriend without coming off like a bitch. If he still asks you after that, then you know it's just as friends.

• No I just told him rain check cause of work cause I panicked and didn't know what else to say so he thinks we're gonna reschedule.. But the Facebook thing is a good idea thanks

• bring the relationships topic. ask him if he's with someone if you dont know or if you know he's single, ask him something about his previous relationship (s). And then switch to your side, and talk about your boyfriend.

• when he calls you on your rain check you have to tell him you have a boyfriend. it might be awkward, but it clears the air. if it wasn't a friend thing, he's out of your hair, if it was, then you can still be friends and just laugh off the awkward.

• Tell him you have a boyfriend immediately

• The best answer is always the direct and honest answer.

• He meant it as a date, guys don't go out of their way like that to just become friends, Just tell him you have a boyfriend.

• Is he gonna get mad that I didn't tell him originally? I feel really bad and I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings

• You could just say you didn't know what to say but you seem like nice guy blahblah, but i have a boyfriend.

Alternatively, you could say "we could hangout.. but only as friends, because I have a BF" , sometimes when I've asked girls out not knowing they have a boyfriend they've said that. I appreciate that b/c it shows you really do have a boyfriend, and not just saying that to get out of the situation. Although, I never do just hangout as friends.

• i thought females were experts in these situations.

Are you even a real female? You could be an android.

• I would just tell him that you're going as his friend not as a date

• But on the chance he didn't mean it as a date wouldn't that make it super weird?

• It'll be a little awkward but I don't think it's as bad as letting him think it's a date when it's not

• True.. Thank you