Should you ever date your boss?

He hasn't asked me out but i'm quite sure he likes me, he drops certain clues, like i see him staring at me and he keeps saying in texts that he is lonely and ready to start dating again. I think he's trying to gauge my interest before he makes a move. He is actually my area manager which kind of makes him my boss's boss. I really like him but my friends tell me I should keep our relationship 100% professional because if things go south I might get in trouble. the thing is i've been single for over a year now and I have a hard time meeting men that actually interest me. Should I talk to him? Talking about it even freaks me out because of the potentially awkward work situation.

Most Helpful Guy

• NO... i believe it'll destroy yer reputation in ur job

What Guys Said 5

• Risks are what happens if you break up.

• oh god.. i was an area manager who played around with 2 staff once at different times!! it is not ideal i tell you that much, and he will be in deep doo if it gets out.

• wow i didn't expect to actually find one. was there any fallout from you fooling around with your staff members? and did you have any clout with them after it was over?

• the 2 of them were mutual flings, no one knew. I was lucky that they were totally loyal and did not let it alter the balance or use it against me when it finished. They could have done. I also married one of my colleagues ( not quite the same i know) a few years before that then got divorced... yes I have led an interesting life i guess..

• If nothing else, you'll be labeled a hussy who's trying to sleep her way to the top. Not saying that's ok, but that's what'd happen. I think you should let this one go.

• Neveeeeeeeeeeeeeer eveeeeeeeeeer

• How much older he is

What Girls Said 5

• Never. Not unless you plan leaving your job for a better advancement.
    It is an absolutely horrible, stupid, downright idiotic idea to date the person who is in charge of your income and can severely effect your work environment. There are movies about this type of thing going all the way wrong and becoming a situation of financial and emotional abuse.

Not only that, but your coworkers will never give you credit where it's due because you're screwing the boss.

• is it really that bad? i like him but this makes me not want to date him at all :(

• @Asker Yeah girl, it is really bad. Dating is like a test run so say you find out that you genuinely are not romantically or sexually interested in your boss after getting to know him. After extended exposure to the type of man he is and how he operates, he no longer makes your heart jump and makes you giggle like a schoolgirl. Like your typical man, his ego is hurt. Perhaps he doesn't have the integrity and willpower to respond to that with grace, so instead he becomes butt-hurt and soothes his ego by sabotaging your job. This isn't uncommon. This is the reason why Human Resources bans sexual or romantic relationships in the workplace unless the two people are married which even then it must be reported.

• I would never date anyone I work with even if of different department let alone a boss.. that's potion asking for trouble. .

• Only if you plan on never working again.

• Nooo ! Don't ever do that..
    You can loose your job
    Be played and
    He could be married VB but not tell you
    Please don't take that chance :o

• I would if I was into him. If you have a bad breakup the job would suck afterwards though.