Would you date someone who has depression and doesn't want to take the meds that help with the depression?

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes because sometimes the mess make it worse... It's just a delicate balance and calls for knowing about mental illness because you have to know how to be with that person without become their crutch which could potentially spiral downward. My little sister suffers from severe depression but has to cope with art and music because the meds make her worse... So it's really how invested you are into the person and if you can add to their life not hinder it

What Guys Said 3

• Well depression medicine gives guys erectile disfunction do you really blame him for not wanting to take it?

• Well what if the girl is the one with repression and doesn't want to take the meds

• Its her choice I wouldn't blame her anti depressants really suck

• No, I am depressed enough, I don't want to be around a person who is going to bring me down further.

• No because I have my own issues and that would be unfair to the both of us.

What Girls Said 8

• It depends on how bad the depression is. Coming from someone who has depression and doesn't take the meds, I understand the reasoning. The medicine dulls my entire personality. It numbs all my moods. I may not feel sad or anxious, but I also don't feel happiness or excitement. The medicine also really messes with my sex drive. It lowers it completely. And then if I missed one day, I was a mess for a week. I stopped taking them because when I was a mess, and it was beyond worse than my normal bad spells. I am lucky enough to be able to control my depression with a good circle of people who support me and I also have coping skills for my bad days.

That being said, as long as I knew their depression didn't hit suicidal thoughts with every down mood they had, I would date the person. I could probably even help them find some coping skills of their own if they wanted.

• Unless they had a legitimate medical reason absolutely not. I barely keep myself on an even keel. I couldn't cope with trying to emotionally support someone who refuses to help themselves.

• I have this thing where im actually attracted to those that I can see are in pain. I guess you can call that an issue or a hero complex, but I take notice to it and it makes me want to help the person and try to make them happy anyway that I can. Having dealt with depression all my life I guess I see something of me in them and I want to be what I never had for them.

I would date someone with depression. there's nothing wrong with not wanting to take anti-depressants. Those meds are actually just a way of ignoring the problem and most people have to really considee if its the last possible solution.

From experience I do know that having depression can tear a big hole in your ability to properly function and dedicate yourself to a relationship. So, although I would date someone with this mental illnes, im well aware that it wouldn't be easy and would take patience

• I would; however, it'd kill me inside and I'd try as much as I could to attempt to talk them into saving themselves.

• If he was willing to get other kinds of help eg. therapy. I get that some people hate the idea of meds and if he was finding ways to work around that then I would support him.

Honestly even if he wasn't and I had really strong feelings for him I would probably try and stay with him, unless his illness made him abusive towards me in any way.

• I am a girl with depression who refuses to take medication, for the simple fact that I don't believe drugs help with everything that the doctors believe. In fact, it sometimes makes it worse, until they find the right drug for you. To me, it isn't worth the struggle on top of the already overpowering inner battle I am faced with everyday.

• I have in the past and it's not so bad... would I do it again? depends on the person

• No. I can't date someone who won't help themselves.