Why are people who are clearly beautiful always the one's claiming that "looks don't matter!"?

It's like a surgeon who spent years to attain his job saying that "money doesn't matter!". It just doesn't make sense to me.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm not saying I'm beautiful, but my appearance has significantly improved after having gone through puberty and all that :P

When I was younger I tried really, really hard to make myself as pretty as possible. I thought all the pretty girls had it better, that it must be nice having guys drop at your feet all the time. Fast forward years later, I realize that it's not fun having guys want you for what you look like, not for who you actually are. It's not fun having girls hate you because you have nicer hair or better skin. It's not fun being treated like an object, and not as an actual person with feelings and emotions.

Aside from all that, I got to meet and be around a lot of handsome guys. I hate how they act as if they own the world just because they look good. I hate how they think they can get whatever and whoever they want. Needless to say, it's not fun spending time with narcissistic guys. I found I much better enjoyed the company of people who cared about living life, rather than looking good. I realized that it's about substance, not the shallow outer shell.

Soooo that's why beauty doesn't matter to me. It took me a while but I realized that there's just so much more to a person than the way they look.

What Girls Said 5

• Because they know how it feels like to be reduced to just their looks, to not be seen and appreciated for what they have to say and who they really are. They've come to learn that looks really aren't everything and that there are other inner qualities one can offer that are much more important than that.

• Because it doesn't to them. Some people don't need to be physically attracted to someone.

• They've never had to endure life as unattractive adults so of course they would believe that they'd experience the same treatment from people if they weren't attractive.

• I guess they're trying to seem humble, when really they aren't.

• Because they have never been on the other side... .

What Guys Said 6

• "I guess they're trying to seem humble, when really they aren't." said @RainbowFanGirl and guess what? SHE'S FUCKING RIGHT. Since it'll do you no good to acknowledge your looks, but it can do plenty of bad.

Like making ugly people feel bad about themselves or make you seem like a narcissist asshole #PickYaPoison LOL. Heck, I could go on all day about this, but basically it gives the "ugly" people of the world hope/help them to not fall into the pit of despair.

Also, if those people choose to acknowledge their looks. they'd get nothing but haters anyway and overall fewer friends. So with that being said. why not do the smart thing and say "looks don't matter" even though we'll know that's BS. But hey, that's just the way it is *shrugs*

i1127.photobucket.com/.../...f.com-gif-maker_3.gif

• What they are saying is it is not an issue to them. If it is an issue to you and you think about it, then it will become more and more an issue. Thinking it will give it power, don't you know this?

• hahaahha they just wanna play it kewl... and make non-good-lookin people feel comfortable as well ;)

• It doesn't because they have a different life standard. Imagine being surrounded by rich people all your life, money would not be your worry.

You are handsome, you would not need to worry about not being handsome

• Because everybody looks ugly or normal to them, so it's not a huge deal. Ugly people are the ones who are blown away.

• Because it does matter and they never knew anything else