Is this emotional/mental abuse?

I'm in college now and dating someone for the first time. However, I have a hard time opening up in my relationship. I think it has to do with stuff back in high school. Let me know if this sounds like mental/emotional abuse:

When I was in highschool, I never had any crushes. My best friend was obsessed with boys and would always ask who I liked. I would always tell her I didn't like anyone but she never believed me. I finally couldn't take it anymore and just told her I liked someone just to get her off my back. Word got around, and the guy I fake crushed started to make fun of me for it. He really believed that I liked him and he would make fun of me every single day for four years. I was very insecure back in highschool and I didn't do anything to get him to stop teasing me. I just sat back at took all the crap that he gave me. He would make fun of me, make uncomfortable innuendos, get into my personal space, and demeaned me.

do you think what he did is causing me to not open up in my relationship? Was this emotional or mental abuse?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think the problem was your insecurity and his immaturity. I don't think it was abuse more than it was truly bullying/harrassment.

But if that time was traumatic for you, then I suppose that could reflect onto you relationships. I don't think it would though if you know the guy is interested in you (he will not demean you for it).

What Guys Said 3

• Wear this under your coat and open your coat at the next allusion:
    http://odetocode.com/aimages/mock.gif

• yes... makin fun of u... yeah if he says any sexist/racistic comments then yeah it is ;)

• It's really not. You're just a pussy.

What Girls Said 4

• I guess so? But like everyone has shit they need to deal with. For most of my pubescent life, I believed boys only liked me for my boobs. As soon as someone showed me the slightest bit of attention not related to physical appearance, I was all over them. It didn't help my self-esteem any.

You can get through it. Thinking about your past can help you move on. Try not to ruminate on it and prevent yourself from experiencing anything new though.

• It might or might not be what's causing you to have a hard time opening up now. It might be the novelty of being interested/in a relationship. His behavior was unacceptable. You could call it bullying, you could call it psychological abuse. Either way, I don't think you'd be wrong, and I'm sorry that that happened to you.

• Figuratively yes, but more than anything I would consider it bullying.

• Yeah i think it is.