Advice for the anxious guy?

I'm 27 years old, and I have general anxiety. I'm beginning to realize that I'm at the point in my life that I've already missed out on the years that a young married couple would enjoy before having children, and that NOW is the time most of those couples are building their families. Then there's me. I've been single for 5 years, never been in a relationship, and never really dated a girl for more than a few months. I would love to marry a great girl and have a family of my own, but I can't even get two dates in one year. Much of that can be attributed to my anxiety, but some of it can also be attributed to my lack of experience in dating/relationships, the fact that I NEVER go out to public venues alone (I get bad panic attacks), or the fact that if I run into a girl I even find remotely attractive, I can't say anything other than a muffled "hi" without feeling like I'm going to have a heart attack. I'm not the best looking dude around, but I'm very smart, I have a great job, and I've got a very small but quality group of friends. I don't really have any hobbies (again, anxiety), so any time off is usually spent driving around town, but never actually going anywhere, or at home by myself. Any advice on how to somehow interact with women? As a side note, I have many, many online dating profiles. I've got that covered.

Most Helpful Guy

• basically do u take any medications bout panic attacks?

sorry if i sound rude

• I can't take medication because of my job. I fight fires at an oil refinery. If you take the mess required, it is considered a "mind altering drug" and I would lose my job.

• oh gosh i see... ever tried searchin for another job though, so u can fx this somehow?

What Girls Said 2

• thought about medication?

• Ask members of your friendgroup for help? Dating in pairs -if they can introduce you to people, that sort of thing. Striking up an online friendship -not necessarily on a dating site -just an open-forum sort of thing?
    For severe anxiety like you're describing, professional help can be really useful. You're saying that it's impeding your life -and it also seems to be the biggest block with meeting women.

What Guys Said 1

• Talk to a psychiatrist this is exactly what they're for. There's meds for this

• I've already been diagnosed. Can't take the meds to fix it though. See the above post.