I want to be perfect and it's an obsession of mine? How do I stop? Is anyone else like this?

Back in high school I was pretty heavy for my height and age. I was so sick of it. I lost about 50 pounds. In my eyes I can't physically see it. I know that sounds crazy to you, but I look the same. And when people tell me I look alike different and I lost a lot of weight I just don't see it. I want to lose a lot more weight. I think my face would be a little more attractive if I was 110-115 pounds. It use to be to the point where I use to call out of work because I felt really shitty.
To me completely honest looks is probably one of the main things on my mind. Always trying to better myself. It's like an obsession to me

Most Helpful Guy

• So, perfection for you would be 49-52kg? You look gorgeous now... granted I don't know your weight now, but from your profile pic, you're stunning. What will happen when you get to your goal weight (and would you be happy if you just got down to 51kg), and you don't think you're attractive, or similar to how you're feeling now, you don't see a difference?

What Guys Said 8

• People with eating disorders often suffer from a psychotic distortion of body image. You should consult with a psychologist who is trained specifically in treating eating disorders.

• A. You are already attractive. So I dont think you have to worry about that. And I think I speak for many guys that think that.
    B. Yeah I strive for perfection. I think its the part that makes us competitive. Is it realistic that we will be perfect? No. But it keeps us going and not giving up.
    C. You have great taste in music :p lol so thats good.

• Learn to love yourself for who you are I've had some trouble in the past with that and am only recently getting over it. But don't ruin what gods already given you in pursuit of perfection.

• I <3 u Vic. U perfect just the way u are. Just focus on being happy. Easier said than done of course but if we all worried about our imperfections all of us would go mad. I dont even kno how many times people have said my forehead is huge or this and that. Society demands us to be perfect & it ain't fair.

• You sound like me and no one can do that in everything they touch

• Lots of people suffer with wanting to be perfect in some way or another, and a lot of it is shown to come from fear of failure. I suggest tackling that first. And get some help from a therapist or at least friends.

• You look very very skinny to me.

• For weight I'm ideal to doctors but that's not good enough

• A little belly is very attractive. Just a small handful. It's SO soft and wonderful. And so cute, as well!

• Okay, don't compare yourself to others; they are not you and will never be you. Only compare yourself to the person you were yesterday and you can do whatever you want.

What Girls Said 5

• I'm the same way. I'm obsessed with how I look. I've also lost weight since high school (about 20 lbs) but I want to lose like 25 more. It's probably super unhealthy and stems from other insecurities that are just easier to deal with by obsessing over appearance because it's something concrete. You should probably see a therapist. I've been seeing someone on and off for years and I finally hope I found a good one who can actually help me! Good luck and let me know if you ever want to talk!

• I am sorry that you are dealing with this.
    In a sense, I feel the same way... not to that extreme, but I know what you mean.
    I'm trying to love myself for who I am... It's pretty hard.

• I've been there. I know how easy it can be to get obsessed. I got to the point where I was starving myself, addicted to sleeping pills because I was too hungry to sleep. I was super unhealthy, my hair all fell out, I ruined a lot of my relationships. I couldn't think about anything else though. And the strangest thing was -- I still thought I was too fat. I looked in the mirror and I saw the same fat old body. So weird now, looking at photos, because I literally remember my thighs looking big and they are like twigs in the mirror. The only thing I can say is, your mind plays tricks on you, perfection is so over-rated. I was miserable when I was at my thinnest, my life was a complete mess. It's so sad now I think. What a waste to devote your life to something that doesn't matter. The right guy isn't going to care about you being super thin or a normal round body. After I got really thin and sick, something in me snapped and I started binge eating. I was so unhappy but it was the start of my recovery. Now I am happy to say I love my body even though it's not perfect. And I enjoy eating :) Being super thin is really overrated. My life is so much better when I weigh a bit more and I have the energy to live my life. Life is really short, please don't waste it on being 'thin.' Good luck <3

• I use to be addicted to sleeping pills to and laxatives. It's hard not to go back
      Thanks for that beautiful comment

• It honestly sounds like you might be borderline anorexic, or have the mindset for it. You might need professional help. Talk to someone you trust about this and get help. It'll be easier if you have a support group of friends that will help you through this.

• ugh I know how much that sucks!

• If I'm not at work I try my best to stay home and avoid the world. I wish it wasn't like that. It's so painful

• Me too!