I'm interested in older men but would they think I'm too young?

My profile says I'm 23 but I'm actually 22. The guys I am attracted to tend to be older (25-35) but I feel very shy approaching them because of my age. There aren't many where I am anyways since I live in a college town (in undergrad). Does anyone have any advice on this?

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 14

• I usually have partners with pretty big age gaps both higher and lower. I simply find it more interesting if the person has some different life experiences than I do, I find that we have more to share and learn from each other. But you have to be fairly empathetic for that to work - both partners need to be able to see things from a different point of view. Often a very different point of view.

So a lot of guys will have a hard time with a big gap simply because they won't see it as a way to learn, but as something too foreign. You'll have to look for particular types of people if you are looking for that. And you'll obviously have to be a particular type of person yourself if you are going to be able to pull it off.

What I've found is that when you are looking for particular things, especially things outside of the norm, you need to move online to meet people. It's too hard to meet people in just random daily encounters if you are looking for something incredibly specific. Online dating sites have their problems, obviously, but they at least will let you put in a desired age range and let you say what you are looking for, and people looking for the same can then find you. With that kind of age range you'll have to be careful, and you'll want to watch for things like a power exchange happening when you don't want there to be one, but it's workable. Approaching older men in public will be tricky, and a lot of them will think it's a trap, lol. I would suggest trying online.

• At 22 I would be wary of a gap beyond 27 - Beyond that it would just seem you are at different stages of your life.

• What gaps are those old man. What stages exactly. Kids or marriage or what.

• Thats not really older in my book im twenty eight and dating sophmore in college. My advice is to just be yourself. Go out do what u do and a dude that likes what he sees will present himself. Or just start talking to a guy thats cool too.

• Don't know what to tell you. Maybe you can either patiently wait till you're financially set to go out of town to meet older men through a younger friend.

• Older men love younger women - it shows that you're actually smart about choosing who you love. Just be very friendly and they'll pick up quickly - experience.

• I would have no issue with this.

• Also feel free to approach me if you want practice :P

• Your maturity level would mean the most. I wouldn't have any issue dating a girl a few years younger if they were mature enough.

• You don't need to worry, I can't talk about all men but majority of men love much younger women in my opinion. You just have to show some interest by flirting with them.

• I'm 27, almost 28 and definitely wouldn't mind dating a 22 year old girl.

• No they wouldn't now take ur fine ass out there and get u a older man

• Just be yourself around the guys you are interested in. There is no magic trick, just be natural

• a five year old gap isn't wrong but tbh anything older seems way to wrong to me

• approch guys under 30 and i think you should be fine.

• just let him know you are not too young, my girlfriend is 10 years older than me

What Girls Said 5

• Firstly a year in the age you display and are isn't that much.

25 year olds shouldn't be that freaked out. The 35s I can understand.

If there aren't many in your town, don't worry. You won't be there forever. People move. Maybe someone will move who's perfect. Maybe you will move somewhere. The thing is to not write off men for not being in your bracket and not beating yourself up.

Personally I think 35 is a bit much of a gap. 13 years is a lot. There's 10 years between me and my eldest brother and there's a lot of life experience between us. He's just had his first child and bought his first house and is married. I'm in a newish relationship and still finding my career. Although people are different stages in life, for me 10 is too much.

There is 4 years between me and my boyfriend. I'm 22, he's 26. It's a good gap for us. We are both looking for the same life choices. We get on well.

What I'm saying is go for life placement rather than age. You need someone who's in the same place as you. As attractive as an older man is, he needs to be near you in age so you understand each other's struggles. I'm quite an old 22. I am looking for a career, house and kids. You are still learning and partying. And that's fine but you can't pretend to understand his worries if you aren't near them. Forgive me if I'm wrong but "OMG my friend got drunk and told me to fuck off then broke up with her Boyf and then expects me to support". His issues will be more like "my underling doesn't respect me what do I do?"

... Do you understand my (tipsy) ramble?

• I don't think you're too young.

• I'm the same age and I only date older men in that range you just described. I've never had a problem with them not liking me.

• I'm generalising here, but most men think themselves lucky when there with a younger woman

• Guys over that age would love it