I thought we were over racism, and stereotypes?

I've been some of the questions about "what race would you not date/marry" and the majority of people chose African Americans. Reading some of these, i'm actually almost to tears because people are judging all African Americans by the stereotypes in the media. I really thought our generation was over this? I came to America from Africa apx. 7 years ago, and I have never seen people be as racist as people here are now. Seriously, meeting one black person that conformed into a stereotypical African American male/female doesn't mean were all the same way. And yes, I get it "races should stick to their own kind" But were all humans, so please just at least try and talk to an African American person. I mean why does the color of our skin matter anyway. I'm so sick of all this racial stereotyping. And please before you comment don't say "Black guys are ugly", Because would you rather date an "ugly" guy with a good heart. Or a "sexy" douchebag.
Sorry for the rant, but some of the questions/answers are seriously breaking my heart.

Most Helpful Guy

• In his autobiography Lee Iacocca tells a story about Henry Ford III. Ford is railing to the Chrysler board about how the company needs more diversity, particularly darker people. After the meeting, he turns to Iacocca and says privately “I want to move to Switzerland where there just aren’t any!” Unfortunately, racism is alive and well in America, including among educated people.

Even when there are no discernible differences, we try to invent them! When the Dutch colonized Rwanda, they wanted to create an over class of natives to help them conquer the land. So they used calipers to measure the relative size of facial features. Based on the breadth of nose and jaw, they separated the country in to what became the Hutus and Tutsis, setting the stage for eventual genocide.

You may notice that in my posts I use the terms Afro or Euro American. You are not truly black and I can assure you that I am not white. We are both shades of brown. As long as we say “black” and “white” we will think that way. And that, my friend, is the real problem.

• CORRECTION---Henry Ford the third was speaking to the staff members of Ford Motor Corporation, of course. I was thinking of Iacocca's later years at Chrysler when I wrote that but he got his start at Ford.

What Guys Said 6

• I definitely know here in the United States, racism is far from over. I actually wouldn't doubt if racism is just as prominent as it always has been, except the difference these days is, everyone keeps their racist views "hidden" and are afraid to admit their true colors (weak pun, I know.)

However, there is also a difference between being racist and stereotyping. Being racist is a hatred towards a particular race (s), while stereotyping is assuming common behaviors about people (which isn't really racist.)

• I personally don't find black people attractive. There's nothing wrong with them. I'm just not attracted to them. Everyone sees people differently. I have a stepbrother who married a black woman and he's perfectly fine with her last I remember. It's personal preference.

• It's fine to not find them attractive but to say a whole race is ugly... is a little hurtful.

• That's just people being obnoxious through internet anonymity. Trolls basically.

• Are you kidding? Have you seen the media lately? African American people, I believe, are being more racist. Listen to Al Sharpton, Eric Holder, Jesse Jackson. Have you heard the protesting? Aside from the police threats, etc.. a lot of the black people during the Ferguson and Baltimore riots chanted "kill the white man" and "a good white person is a dead white person". I don't know what you've been watching but I definitely think the African American community, not all though, has been more racist.

• Remember Michael Brown and Officer Wilson? How all that rioting and looting was because of him? Yeah, well guess what? Around the same time, an white Akron police officer, while out to eat with his girlfriend, was shot by a armed black person and died. It was not heavily reported and certainly was not rioted about.

• I'm not saying what those people did were right, but please remember white people drove them to do these actions.

• No white person drove these people to loot, steal, etc. Hopefully you would know that all the white people today, were not alive during slavery. Quick fact, about 3/4 of Southern white Americans did not own slaves. With the 1/4 percentage of those that did, about 88% owned twenty or fewer. 3,000 black slave owners owned about 20,000 black slaves in the year 1860. In total, 1.4 percent of the white population in America owned slaves.

• Why would we be over racism?
    Just because media tries to brainwash us that we should be tolerant and all that crap?
    No, thanks, some people still think themselves and make up their own opinion.
    To me other races are not attractive, other cultures not likeable.
    And, now about stereotypes, you're right, meeting one person of that race who conforms to the stereotypes does not mean all of those race are that way, however, having a bigger sample and seeing that most of those in the sample are that way means it's likely that a lot of people of that race around you (don't forget, people's behaviour depends on where the live, not only where the come from) are just like that. ~ statistics and stochastics.

• no matter how many years will pass... racism will still b alive in my opinion

• Most women don't find Asian men attractive but I'm not bothered by it. At the end of the day I'm not a race and I fight for myself not other Asian guys.

What Girls Said 4

• We're pretty much never going to be totally free from stereotyping and whatnot. Wayyyyy too many complex, deep rooted factors going on there to eradicate it.

• Unfortunately a majority of the world is very simple minded and are unable to grasp the fact that just because your skin is a certain color doesn't mean that you are just like everyone else. The color of you skin doesn't define who you are. Its sad that everyone can't see that.

• We're not over it. There's still people who are against interracial marriage, I kid you not.

• Me too, girl...