When you're dating someone, are you friends first?

Do you usually date people you were friends with originally or are you typically only interested in people you don't want to be friends with? Why or why not? Discuss.

• Yes, we're usually friends first
  • No, I don't date people I'm friends with
  • There's no discernible pattern

Most Helpful Girl

• Being friends first is the best way to go. It wouldn't make sense to just date someone and not know anything about them.

What Guys Said 9

• beter friends first ;)

• I wish I was friends with my ex before we dated, she started getting demanding. About 5 months into our relationship, we quit getting to know each other, she would get defensive when I tried, didn't understand each other for the last 8 months. She cheated on me then told me it was my fault. Now we're just strangers who know our names.

• I would not date someone im friends with. If things end up not working out it could ruin the friendship.

• Nope never happened like that for me

• No, this has never happened, not with any of my relationships which are many. If those friends would have been suitable for a relationship, they never would have become "friends" in the first place.

• Do you not think it's important to have more in common with your partner than physical attraction? Is it not easier to find people who share your interests and values by first making friends?

• I accept your apology, but I do not forgive you. You don't say things you don't believe to be true, even when incensed. We will move forward from this however as mature adults. In future, when something on GaG makes you angry, move away from the keyboard instead of calling people gendered and misogynist slurs.

• Wow. I made a heart-felt apology for simply calling you a name, and you won't even forgive that. I am not perfect, nor are you. Doubtless, you have said and done many things which offended others, either here, or in your daily life, and not ever bothered to apologize. You cannot expect others to forgive you, if you wont' forgive them. Unbelievable. The only thing that I can deduce from this, is that I hit a nerve and what I said was 100% true. Nothing else would make sense of your coldness.

• I myself prefer to be friends first, or acquantences at the very least, because its more comfortable getting into something with someone i already know. But i don't think that's how it works for most girls, hence the "friendzone".

• I feel the same way. I don't want to date someone I don't know or feel comfortable around.

• I used to do this in college be friends with them at first. However now that i graduated I decided to be more straightforward with women in what I want because the chance to go through the time of being their friend first is limited.

• I usually date a woman I briefly met and am attracted to.

• Any discernible reason?

• That's how my dad is and it exhausts my mother.

• Well your dad clearly married your mom, so it worked out for him. Why can't it work out for me?

• I've fancied friends before but never done anything about it because I don't want to lose a friend and make things awkward.

• Well, you will never get past the friends stage with someone you're interested in if you don't attempt it.

• They've talked about guys they are attracted to though, so I don't think had a chance really.

• You know there are no hard and fast rules about this, right?

What Girls Said 9

• I usually am friends first.

• I've dated people I wasn't friends with first and I've found that being friends with my current boyfriend prior to our relationship made our relationship solid. I think a prior friendship builds a stable foundation for any budding, new relationship.

• Yeah, I'm friends with them first.

• I would rather we were friends first but i feel it go into it blind if you get hurt its less of a hassle.

• Ya Friends that go to Dating have WAY better Releashinships ( <3 ) then strangers or class mates dating

• I'm happier to become friends and any form of romance usually comes from there

• It has always been friends first for me - I don't know how i'd date someone if I didn't like them first

• I would hope so

• It just usually happens, just give it a try. With whoever approach me