Would you date someone with no social circle at all?

Would you date a person that had no close friends, no acquaintances and was estranged from their family? Why or why not? Discuss.

• Yes
  • No
  • It depends

Most Helpful Guy

• Probably not. Unless you live in a cave, it's practically impossible to have NO friends or even acquaintances whatsoever unless you yourself are the reason why.

• I feel like most people like that wouldn't realize they were the reason for their isolation though.

• @Xelebrum I said I BASICALLY don't have any friends. The TWO friends I see in person, I RARELY ever even hang out with them and we barely talk anymore.

And I'll say someone can be out-and-about and literally have nobody they know as a friend and it's not their fault.

• Enh, I think it's pretty typical for people with issues to believe everyone else has a problem. I'm an introvert and I don't find people standoffish.

Most Helpful Girl

• I have no initial problem with it, I'd they became overly clinging it would be a bigger deal.

What Guys Said 19

• Yes because it is the person you are dating not their social circle.

• I would. Sure I would prefer if she had some friends so I could meet more people, but I honestly don't care if she has friends or not, after all, I'm in a relationship with her, not with her friends, or family.

• Do you think it's healthy to be in a relationship with someone where you have no time apart from one another?

• No, there has to be some time when you're both doing your own thing, you can't grow dependent on the other person, but you can still do stuff alone. But, I would present my girl to my friends, so if she likes them, maybe she can spend some time alone with them, maybe go out with the other girls, while I go out with the boys.
      Time apart is necessary.

• yes np wid me... we could b friends if we were 2gether... no?

• That would be great. Less annoying new people to be introduced to.

• no, i wouldn't.

though depends on the reason.

• I only have a handful of close friends, a small family, and a very small circle of fairweather co-worker friends. So yes, I would.

• I'm on the same field as well :/ people change so yeah I'd date someone like you described since we're similar

• Sure, I don't mind I'll be her social dot.

• Like I told you before, it's not weird. Many people are shy today and they still manage to find a date.
    Besides, social circles suck.

• Being able to have people to hang out with that share your interests and values suck? Yikes.

• Sociability is a law of nature for humans, actually. Not just men. I have never once insinuated that only men should be sociable.

• Oh, just get used to it. There are people who don't socialize yet still date. Just because you haven't heard of it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

• I guess that's be a little bit of a red flag... But hell, why not? I guess I'd want to know how *that* happened, but I can't imagine how you could bring that up politely...

• I feel like it's easy to get a sense for people who are isolated because there's something wrong with them (insecurity, mental illness, etc.) and if there isn't something wrong with them, they'll bring it up. Like, if they just moved there or whatever.

• So do I, but I'm not severely isolated. It exacerbates my condition.

• I'm the exact opposite. I get overwhelmed and wiggy if I don't maintain a considerable amount of personal space... until I get lonely, and then I have people who get that I need to disappear into the blue for a while, and then just show up again later 😄

• No, I wouldn't because I like social people, I don't like people who are closed on themselves.

• my social circle is pretty much limited to my hand puppet which is far better than having no social circle at all

• What strange question... Are you from the brady bunch or something? Everyone didn't grow up like that.

• What an odd assumption! Most people do, however, have friends and acquaintances even if they have no family.

• Yes. People are not (necessarily) their current circumstances.

• No, she would be a burden to me, and I am very social.

• In other words, a recent arrival to a new city?

I have an uncle I never met. He cut all ties with my mother's family the day he hit eighteen, moved down to Texas and started a new life. All I know is that he's been married for over twenty years and has several children.

Part of me envies him.

• There are other reasons for such behaviour.

• I'm actually not far off from your description, to be perfectly honest. Between frequent bullying and an emotionally abusive mother, I was left both underconfident and seriously questioning the merits of partnering at all. Dealt with the bullying, but it was only after I got out on my own that I realized I wanted to find someone - I emerged from college with no dating experience whatsoever. I don't resent women or anything, I'm well aware now that not all women are like my mother, but I'm still deathly shy, and progress on that front has been slow.

I've tried various activities since college, clubs, sports, extracurricular classes, but a lot of my hobbies are solitary. Haven't managed to make many lasting friendships. People go their separate ways.

Sorry. Don't mean to give you my whole life story. I guess... what I'm saying is I'm *trying* to make progress, but it's been difficult. I don't know how to go somewhere public, approach people I don't know and strike up a conversation.

• I'm friends with a few people at work, but have never done anything with them *outside* of work, and they've never shown interest in doing so either. Family's still around. Close with my father and sister, paved over the past with politeness with my mother, but the resentment's still there under the surface and boils through from time to time. Right now... that's pretty much it.

• I'm not east so yeah..

• East? Do you mean easy or either?

• Sorry about this!

• Okay. Thank you for your input. Sorry you had so much autocorrect trouble though.

• More time for me!

• Do you think it's healthy to have no time apart from your partner /with your own friends in a relationship?

• Yeah it's not exactly healthy. Once she isn't super clingy I'm fine

• That is highly dependent upon the reasons why. There has to be good reasons for it, or it's a complete non-starter.

• What would be a good reason for a person to have zero social circle?

• That's been my experience with isolated people - generally there's something off about them.

• Yea, I'd say that is a fair generalization. But there are enough exceptions to it that I'm willing to give someone who otherwise seems like they have promise a chance to prove me wrong.

What Girls Said 4

• yes because I live in a cave as well. As in i don't have really any close friends but I'm on good terms with my family. Just most social circles are really boring plus I have enough trouble trying to focus on what the people I talk to say as it is.

<---ADHD
    shurdington.org/gharmirdum/Images/caving-anim.gif</a>

• More than likely not. People who aren't close to ANYONE tend to be very sketchy. Who the heck doesn't have a friend?

• Eh, I guess so.

• I actually like the idea of being friends with someone with no social circle because I could become a close friend of theirs. Honestly, right now, I could use a ride or die companion