Do black people have it harder?

This black guy in my class said that he wasn't hired anywhere because he is black, he gave up on working finishing school because it gets him nowhere in life and afterall he is black. Im a black woman too but too hear that from a black guy hurt my feelings, i really felt for him but i told him to take responsibilty for himself and not let those kind of people get him down. Its like he was saying im black so they won't hire me anyways... i felt so angry when i heard that. i KNOW that we as African black people have had it hard. Everyday i hear comments at my job about me or about black people, but i continue to work hard and deny those people. Why is it that black men gave up on working?

Most Helpful Guy

• Because they are surrounded by the narrative, perpetuated by the black community, that black people have it harder.

If you're taught by your parents (or single mother, because again, let's keep perpetuating black stereotypes for a moment), that white people are your enemies and are going to keep you down, that the world is designed to be against you, that anything bad that happens to you is due to the color of your skin, what are you going to believe?

That's right... that your effort doesn't matter. That the evil white world is going to keep you down no matter what you do, so why try?

It's easier to have a scapegoat for all your problems than than to take responsibility for yourself. It's in their own fucking heads.

Black people have been victimized in the past, there's no doubt, and certainly there's still some of that today. But the biggest problem standing in the way of black people and their advancement is their self-limiting beliefs and the pernicious narrative perpetuated by the black community that they are victims and can only ever be victims.

What Guys Said 6

• only if they r around racists i guess :|

• There is something wrong with the place you work if every single day you hear a racist comment. Where I live in California there is little to no racism , at least not outright. Maybe it is different where you live, but black people dont have a harder life here.

• I'm not black*obviously* but I don't think too many people are racist today.

• not really, the only difference between black and white is the "education" within the household

• lol - no! They get free health care, free college tuition, preferential hiring, omg... they THINK they have it hard but they do NOT

• Na, that's just a cop out.

• why?

• Because you're rewarded on merit and there's equal opportunity, America has a black president, there's laws against discrimination but there's also positive discrimination to make sure everyone's represented. If people fail they look for shit to blame it on, anything other than themselves.

What Girls Said 4

• From my personal experiences with black men, they dont want to do anything but lay up in their mom's basement, smoke weed, drink all day, use women for their money, and fuck a bunch of slutty ass females, getting a job and being successful gets in the way of that.

• Black men give up all the time. Black women remain strong, get you money, get some good dick, and raise your kids

• of course,,,,,

• i think they do.