"I'll call you later"

Why do guys say this and then only end up texting you?

Most Helpful Guy

• Because if it's earlier in the relationship, or you just met, calling can be much more nerve-racking. You can't just call without anything planned to say because then there's just a ton of silence and stumbling and the whole conversation is awkward. At least for me, early on, I am very meticulous about everything I say to the girl, so I'd rather text, where I can think about what to say and form it without being rushed, than call, where I'm rushed to think of something to say or have to prepare several things in advance.

I also find that when there's no definite time to call "later," a lot of girls will be with their friends when you call them, and those calls are always a disaster because they're being distracted and so you have to repeat things a lot. If I call, I want either full attention, or for the girl to say "Hey, I'm with my friends, can I call you back later? You can still text me if you'd like"--something like that.

What Guys Said 1

• It's a saying to get out of the awkward situation of telling a girl exactly when you will call again.

What Girls Said 5

• It could be that they are with family or friends...or they may just find it an easier way of talking...i don't know many guys who like to talk on the phone...you could always call him or when he texts instead of calls you could always say call me I don't feel like texting..

• Because texting is a convenience nowadays and easier than making a phone call.

• Could be scared that he'll call at a bad time, so texting is a way to talk to you even if you are busy.

• Because he probably doesn't really see any significant difference between the two (symbolically/relationship wise) and texting can be easier

• Texting is much easier and definitely not as scary.