Differences between open relationship and fwb?

Most Helpful Girl

• In an open relationship, you are in an actual partnership that involves emotional connection and a level of commitment; the difference between an open relationship and a monogamous relationship is that you have the option of having multiple other partners, typically sexual.

Friends with benefits however is a strict no-expectation arrangement where emotional involvement is minimally involved, and there is no commitment required. To form romantic emotions would technically be a "violation" of friends with benefits rules, since it is simply a casual friendship that includes a sexual aspect.

What Girls Said 4

• Open relationship is where you are in a relationship with someone and have rules set up with them. Like for instance you will be with them, and you are allowed to go on dates with others, but you can't sleep with them. You then discuss the people you went on dates with and what not. The relationship and how much you are allowed to do with others is decided as a pair.

Friends with benefits is something more you just do for sexual reasons. More like sex with no strings attached.

• Open relationships as far as I know (my friend was in one and I never was) is you can see other people and have sex with other people while being with your boyfriend/girlfriend. I personally HATE the idea of these relationships and I think they are a cop-out for the commitment-phobia people. Real, committed relationships are where you and your boyfriend/girlfriend only romantically see and have sex with each other and no one else.

• Open relationship you have sex with anyone you guys want on the side and friends with benefits you only have sex with each other and no one else

• I thought some friends with benefits do sleep with others on the side?

• @Bandit74 it just sounds too similar. Hopefully it'll catch on

• hopefully 😒

• I personally don't find a difference. I usually refer to it as friends with benefits though

What Guys Said 5

• friends with benefits is when two friends have sex as a leisure activity. The two friends are in no kind of romantic relationship like girlfriends/boyfriend, but they are fuck buddies and use each others bodies for sexual pleasure.

An Open Relationship is when two people are in a romantic relationship with one another (GF/BF or Wife/Husband), but they are not monogamous, which means that any one of the people in the relationship can have sex or go out on a date with someone else and it wouldn't be considered cheating. Open relationships usually have rules that both parties must follow in order for the relationship to work.

• it's technically da same thing... no?

• open means you have emotions connected. friends with benefits means hey lets fuck but I don't wanna date you

• I have an open relationship, where we both share stories and even watch each other have sex, but from what I see on here, friends with benefits often goes south for one or the other.

• The relationship!