If I'm 14 years old and I want to date an 18 year old is it legal?

There's this guy I know who's 18 and I really want to date him, is it legal as long as we don't have sex? and if it is what's considered not sex, like can we kiss? If it is illegal will it be legal when I'm 16? I live in Alabama by the way

by the way I already know that it is legal as long as there are not any sexual relations, and when I'm 16 I can have sexual relations with anyone as long as they are no more than 4 years older than me, js

Most Helpful Girl

• As long as sexual acts (sex, oral, handjobs, etc.) don't happen, it's legal. Kissing is... legal, but is likely to lead to suspicion -and much more than a quick peck in public is generally considered inappropriate, regardless of the ages involved. In Alabama, the age of consent is 16, so yeah, at that point, it's legal, but if he's 19 or older and y'all get intimate before you turn 16, it's illegal and there are no exceptions granted by the law. But seriously, think about it for a second. However awesome and mature you are, you're still 14, and there's a fair bit of life experience that he has that you don't. I understand the appeal of an older guy, but what does he get from going after a younger girl? Power? Authority? I'd advise holding off on age differences that big for a few more years.

• @silamy knows what she's talking about. Don't have your heart set on dating him, most likely it's not gonna work. He's gonna want to do stuff as an adult he couldn't do as a minor, clubs, partying and that stuff. And u won't be able to join without him getting in trouble.

• Saying he is after power or authority is a bit prejudice with out knowing more about the situation. And although its illegal its a very hard crime to prove unless she reports him, gets pregnant or they send sexual related text messages.

What Guys Said 7

• From Alabama Statutes:
    A male commits the crime of rape in the second degree if :

Being 16 years old or older, he engages in sexual intercourse with a female less than 16 and more than 12 years old; provided, however, he is at least two years older than the female.
    This is bizarre: at age 14 you can marry in Alabama and then sex is ok.

So yes dating is legal but this can't be a good choice for you. Don't do it, girl.

• It's legal as long as no sex but probably a bad idea. If he's dating someone that much younger, he most likely wants sex. And it usually causes problems. But it is legal

• Don't have sex, kissing is fine but I'd keep it under wraps until you're at least 16 (age of consent in Alabama if I remember correctly).

• Does not seem like a good idea to me. He could get into trouble

• 14 yr olds shouldn't date anyone

• It could cause some problems or some people think badly. It depends on the culture because my great grandmother got married at 9 to a 18 year old and at that time it was considered acceptable.
    So long as you're not mistreated or abused and its a loving relationship then go for it. But know he might skip out on you for an older girl.

• Be careful.. an 18 year old that would date a 14 year old is a bad sign.

What Girls Said 6

• it won't be legal when you are 16 I don't think. This is a horrible idea and totally disgusting. Would you date a 10 year old?

• You response is flawed. First of the age of sexual consent in most states including hers is 16, which would make it legal. Two there is a huge difference in a prepubescent 10 year old and a sexually developed 14 year old

• Mmm not necessarily. I am 17 and I can't have sex with whoever... Over 4 years and it will be statutory rape. You don't know their birthdays. She could have already turned 14 and he could be turning 19 which would be illegal until she is 18. And also I said I think not for certain so that isn't flawed. And she is not nearly pubescent as he is. It is honestly disgusting. You are old enough to have a daughter how would you like it if your child was dating an adult?

• It's legal as long as you don't have sex... that's probably what he wants though just so you know

• I don't think its a appropriate.

• When do u turn 15 and when does he turn 19

• I don't know Alabama's rules, but there are expections for each state. For example, the age of consent in Lousiana is 17. And, if you are 17 or older and like someone younger than 17, and long as that person is no more than two years younger than you, you are all legal. So, look into your states laws on a. org site. Also, sex includes oral sex, so if you do date him, for it to be legal keep your clothes on and no gential messing and you should be a okay. I only know louisiana's laws because I am an 18 year old girl dating a 16 year old boy who would rather not be a registered pedophile ever. 😂

• not to my knowledge, your going to have to say bye until you turn 18, sorries hun.. law