Is it ok to ask a guy out over a text?

So, I have this guys number from work. I texted him once and got nothing, but a lot of the responses that I got from here and people around us is that being to staright foward could scare him off and that he is waiting for me to make the first move. Is that acceptable, can I do it over a text message, and what do I do if he rejects me and he is mean about it? If he lets me down easy were ok, but if he acts rude about it I'm not the type to be happy about that.

Most Helpful Guy

• Well I asked my crush out over text the first time. Kinda sucks, but we didn't go to the same school so not much choice. Anyway, after the first hangout we planned had to he cancelled, it took like 1.5 months to finally hang out.

Maybe call?

What Guys Said 1

• you will never know til you text him and find out for yourself. either he is going to say yes or no.

What Girls Said 2

• BAD IDEA
    BAD IDEA

• yeah but i would flirt and wait for him to do it