Poll: I veganism a deal breaker?

• Yes
  • No
If anyone is going to say "as long as they don't try to force their lifestyle on me," understand that the only one forcing anything is you
maverickj

1. I'm not vegan, way to be presumptuous
2. It's not a matter of preference because I LOVE MEAT, but at the same token I don't have my head stuck so far up my own ass that I would think that satisfying my taste-buds could ever justify a moment of suffering
3. I don't make conscious beings suffer and I'm the jerk. Have you ever heard of the old robot saying: does not compute.

Most Helpful Girl

• It would only be a deal breaker if he tried to make me vegan or if he complained that I eat meat and use stuff with animal products (ie. wool for knitting).

• They cannot "make" you do anything.

• Update - I'm not going to make him eat meat and whatever. That's not my choice to make. I don't understand how I'd be forcing him to follow my diet. If a vegan guy is dating me then he needs to accept my diet just as I'll be accepting his.

• Nobody can make me do anything, that's right. If I want to be a vegan or a vegetarian, I'll choose to do it myself and seek advice from him. I already use a lot of vegan products already though since I can't have many dairy products.

What Girls Said 6

• no it would be fine, it would be a deal breaker if he tried to force or guilt me into becoming one too

• "Force" would be an inappropriate word given that there is no known incidents of vegans violently forcing their lifestyle. They may try to convince others but the only one "forcing" anything is you.

• i say force as more like give ultimatums about going vegan or them breaking up with me because if it was a serious relationship etc then i would feel like i was forced to do it or lose that person

• For me definitely no since I'm vegetarian. I would love a vegan guy. If we got really serious, I would probably even go vegan.

• I would see no issue with the matter. I'm a vegetarian (was vegan). I respect the opinions of others. My boyfriend is 'normal'-- being an omnivore and I'll still cook for him. I just won't eat it. ^-^

• Definitely not a deal breaker. I'm a vegetarian and my boyfriend eats meat and that works great. I don't see how what your partner eats can be a deal breaker.

• ugh deal breaker.
    I just.. can't

• I don't consider it a deal breaker.

What Guys Said 12

• Not a deal breaker, but we'll have to be cooking different things most of the time, since I don't really like vegetables, I'm a meat guy.

• I'm amused that you talk of how preaching is a religious thing only, before launching into what some would describe as militant vegan tirades.

"Oh, but I'm not preaching, I'm just trying to 'convince' you."

Troll/10

• I'm just stating facts

fail/10 (plus, I'm not strictly vegan ;)

• "Well, not if you found a dead animal and ate it but as for killing them for the sake of eating them when there is no necessity, yes it is wrong, not because someone believes that it is but that it simply is wrong. "

No, that's an opinion. You're trying to bait people into an argument, hence the troll.

• It is a FACT that at the very least birds, mammals and cephalopods are conscious in the same sense that we are (google the cambridge declaration on animal consciousness) so if killing them in those gives circumstances is wrong is just an opinion then would it also be my opinion that Jeffrey Dahmer did was wrong?

• Only if she starts criticizing me for eating meat and tries to change me

• So you think that you're justified?

• In a sense it's kind of like sexual preferences (some people like girls others like dudes). I agree that eating meat isn't inherently wrong just like cannibalism isn't inherently wrong (if someone died of natural causes and you eat their remains, then I've got no quarrel with that). In fact when I was away at college I saw a goose get killed when it was hit by a car and I took it back to my apartment, plucked it, cut it up, cooked it and ate it. That's OK because I didn't make the goose suffer and if anyone judged me for it I would tell them to shove the gooses' drumstick up their ass. Just like if someone wants to cannibalize others as long as it was permitted in their will I would respect that as their personal choice. But when you're killing an innocent animal just to eat, that logic no longer applies because you are now forcing your lifestyle on that animal and the analogy homo vs heterosexual analogy no longer is valid and the appropriate one is rape vs consensual sex.

• I agree with that

• I never thought about that before. I know one thing for sure, no one can make me stop eating meat.

• It would be a deal breaker if it's the preachy type of veganism.

• preach pertains to religion, veganism is not a religion

• Plenty of vegans don't seem to make that distinction. To many it's a set or moral codes and defined practices, which is what a religion is.

• Yes, most definitely. Makes cooking and a lot of other things a huge hassle.

Also, lots of vegans will not shut up about how meat is murder, et cetera.

• The act of eating meat in and of itself is not the equivalent of murder just like cannibalism in and of itself is not the equivalent of murder. If you find a dead animal, take it home and eat eat (I once saw a goose get nailed by a car and then took it home and ate it), there's nothing wrong with that just like if someone dies and in their will allows their remains to be cannibalized, there's nothing wrong with that. However, when you kill (or pay someone to kill an animal), that's different. It's not murder because murder is defined as one person killing another BUT at the Cambridge Declaration of Animal Consciousness the worlds scientists decreed that at the very least every bird, mammal and cehalopod is conscious in the same sense we are so saying killing those animals is not the same as murder is like saying rape is not the same as child molestation.

• If you purchase meat you are forcing animals to suffer and die for your eating habits

• Alright, so you're exactly the kind of vegan that I was talking about, the type that will not shut up about their preferences. Thanks for proving my point.

Please tell me more about how my purchase of meat is physically forcing the meat industry to keep killing livestock, like we've been doing for thousands of years already. I'll be here ignoring you. Jerk.

• I said no, but I'm also a vegetarian myself. I used to be vegan at one point and a vegan girl would probably help me go back to it. So I would have to say being vegan would actually be a huge bonus for me.

• Only if you preach it every day in my ear : P

• Preach means proclaiming a religion; veganism is not a religion.

• Well, first one thing has to be clarified: At the Cambridge declaration of animal consciousness the worlds' leading neuroscientists decreed that at the very least every bird, mammal and cephalopod is conscious in every sense that we are. Does that mean that eating meat is wrong? Well, not if you found a dead animal and ate it but as for killing them for the sake of eating them when there is no necessity, yes it is wrong, not because someone believes that it is but that it simply is wrong.

• She can eat what she want, i however like my meat.

• Why do people always bring up what they "like" in the issue as if it has any relevance whatsoever. I'm pretty sure most vegans like meat.

• then you don't know what a vegan is.

• Yes, I do. They may like the TASTE of meat but won't eat it because it's not worth making an animal suffer and die.

• I refuse vegan women. Vegan men are awesome though for some reason; they are friendly.

• No I'm not too bothered by it.

• No, I'm a vegetarian but I usually get along well with vegan girls.