Should I settle for less, or keep a standard?

So, I am currently single, very willing to find a boyfriend. but... the last two boyfriends I've had were both... what should i say... One of them was a 2/10 with a psycological illness, and the other was a 4/10, fairly normal but too shy.
Now recently, i met a guy with a nice personality, but he is kinda a rebel type, with long hair and rides a bike and stuff... And I know my parents won't a approve of him.

So i decided that my next boyfriend has to be good looking, and someone my parents would like. But is it fair to reject every nice guy i meet, if they aren't good looking, or if i don't think my parents would like them?
I also feel that I can't date a guy I don't share at least one major passion with.

Most Helpful Guy

• Keep your standards. Those who say "Give the nice guys a chance" are idiots. Guys are nice to women all the damn time, but niceness alone doesn't mean shit. A homeless drug addict could be nice to you, but that doesn't mean that you should give him a chance.

Find a guy who you find attractive (be reasonable) and whom you have a good number of things in common with. Don't settle just because you don't wanna look mean.

• Thanks. It's nice hearing an honest opinion :)

• Oops, I meant to say "be realistic." And you're welcome :)

What Guys Said 6

• Is it fair the judge someone's appearance that was determined randomly and out of his control when his DNA was being constructed? That's a question you can only answer, for me it's obvious the answer is no.

• You don't have to be fair.
    You don't choose someone to love from a perspective of fairness. It's like saying you should only date those who've been single and waited the longest, because that's more fair. It doesn't work that way in life and when we choose which people we want in our life.

Most people make choices based on what they think will bring them the most happiness.

• Well, Looks are all that matters these days, So, By doing that, You would just be acting like a Normal chick,

So, Yeah, Keep your Standards high, Everyone else seems to.

• It may not be fair to reject every one of them, but tour parents should like the guy or eventually come around if they see how well your new boyfriend (when you get one) treats you

• Yes, I see what you mean =)

• I would say this, because he doesn't look like Ken from Barbie it doesn't mean that he doesn't have a great personality or treat women better that Bad Boy type of guy. I have heard that some guys who are ugly/average treat women better because that's how they were raised or because they can't get any women. When it coming to you, I would keep my standards open and see what will come and then judge and decide? After all you are still young and have a lot of options. The parents thing tho, isn't it your decision who you like and date rather than your parents? Would you like to date someone who you don't like but your parents like or would you date someone who you are happy with and your parents don't like? That question you need to answer it yourself.

• if he rides a bike and stuff.. doesn't mean he's a bad guy... no?

• No, I know it doesn't. And he isn't, but he just gives off that kinda vibe in general.

What Girls Said 2

• Keep the standard.
    Girls who settle for less tend to end up heartbroken, bitter, jaded, and stuck with baggage that takes YEARS to get rid of.

At your age, boys seem like some big deal. Some wild, romantic, magnetic adventure. But the reality is that a majority of them are a threat to your emotional and mental wellbeing with a charming face and body. Standards keep you where you need to be. Never let go of them.

• You should give them a chance