Americans: Will you date a non-American?

Okay so there's this international student in my university that seems like a very nice, well-educated guy. He said he likes me, and I like him too. So far we've been kissing and everything. I'm not looking for a fling, I'm only interested in a serious relationship. The problem: He's not American, he's not from here. He might go back to his country after he graduates (I assume). His family doesn't live here. I want things to work out but I don't see a future if we were to be together just because of his nationality he might not stay here permanently I don't know. Anybody dated an international student? How does things suppose to work? If not will you date one? Your thoughts? Thanks.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, in an instant. I've spent significant time outside the US and it's surprising how much you can have in common when you talk about experiences abroad, yours if you've had some, or theirs. As for how things work out in the future -- you're in college, you're still young, and it's okay if it doesn't work out perfectly. It doesn't have to. It won't be a fling, but it may not be what you're looking for in the end either, and if it's not, that's okay... if you don't accept some risk and difficulty, the kind of cultural differences you need to bridge in your relationship won't seem worth it, and that's a shame, because it's entirely worth it.

• I never been out of the US I know nothing lol everything else seems weird... But if we're so in love and he have to go back to his country now that sucks how can I make these kind of relationships to work out like normal relationship are there any chance of marriage if so how and where? I'm confused :/

• If he does end up stay here how about this family? If I end up moving how about my family?

• That's hard to answer, but how would your family feel about you living in another country? How would his family feel if he didn't return to theirs? There are lots of ways to keep in contact, like Skype or FaceTime calls, and of course visiting once in a while as well (or more often, but I'm guessing he's not from Mexico or Canada). So long as both families are understanding of your decisions, it can work out. And if they wouldn't be, it's probably a sign it won't.

What Guys Said 5

• Yes I would. There is so much negatively in the west, it can be refreshing. If you like each other enough it's possible to workout.

• What if he comes back to his country?

• I only get into relationship if I see our future I mean marriage. Is it possible to get married how and where and where to live after that and we of course ain't gonna do long distance marriage lol if one person moves how about that person's family?

• It's possible to get married. I've heard of a lot of people moving away from where their family lives for either love, a job or they just wanted to get out of the area.

• I was an international student, my family didn't want me to stay in China. so I came back. Yeah they usually go back home. It sucks, they funded me in China and I built a life there, but noooo, I can't get a job there, I gotta get a job in this boring ass Canada.

• Huh? What happened what u talking about?

• What the f*** fake a damn pregnancy to get someone to marry you whattttt? :/ Divorce her then if he figures out it's fake.

• she told him its a miscarriage, but now she really has a kid. Probably cause my friends parents bought them a condo.

• Go for it! Figure out the details late.

• Yes I would

• I've been in this situation, I dated a girl from Ukraine and she was absolutely amazing. So smart and beautiful. Well she had to move back to Ukraine and it took me almost a year to get over it. Unless he is staying in America I wouldn't bother you will get heartbroken.

• But can I convince him to stay here when all his family is back in his country? I don't know where to begin..

• As fir your Ukainian ex, was she not okay with moving and staying here?

• It's so hard for her to be able to live here. I'm still friends but I moved on.

What Girls Said 3

• Australian men really catch my attention with their accent 😍😍😍

• Depends. I'll never date another African or Arab again, that's for sure.
    Someone from Europe , Asia, or India.. or anywhere else... I'd give that a try.

• What happened with Arab? (I am not being rude :). I am curious as I find myself being attracted Arabs these days. :p)

• @complicated_soul Lol I used to be interested in Arabs they're hotttt but lol they are players they break your heart all Arabs I've dated are weird they would play you and only will get together seriously with arab girls that's from my experience I would stay away from them :/

• @complicated_soul Not to generalize but Arabs and Africans, who are typically Muslim, tend to come from this crazy ass, hypocritical culture where the men think it's okay to disrespect women. They think it's cool to come to America and whore around yet value virginity. Many of the men are straight up disrespectful and inconsiderate of female's feelings yet they expect her to never show them even the tiniest ounce of disrespect. Africans tend to be fucking crazy. At least the ones who have lived in war torn countries like Sudan, Darfur, Libya, etc . Just my personal experience. I will never give an Arab or African guy a chance again.

• Yes. Yes. Yes.