People who read messages and don't reply?

Is it acceptable for someone to read a message and not reply because they were busy?
Like say you believe that they're out or whatever, but I figure if they have time to read it they have time to reply

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, it's fine.

What's annoying is seeing the message on your lock screen and having to avoid accidentally going into the message app and sending a read receipt in case someone insecure thinks you are ignoring them (because you are too busy to have a conversation)

What Guys Said 3

• Try texting back and forth. Then just suddenly stop replying. Then on facebook putting up post, talking about other stuff. Then dont get bk to you. Hate it, so i do the same bk.

• It's kinda annoying, but I don't say anything because it'll just make it worse.

• i get so pissed when people do that!

• Do you call them out on it? Or just put up with it?

• i just act like i dont care and i really dont care but its annoying. but when it happens a lot i will say it

What Girls Said 6

• I do this all the time so I obviously don't have a problem with it. I don't think it's rude. Sometimes I don't actually have time to give an answer the message deserves.

• You have no control if they reply to you or not but yeah I agree that sucks and I think its really rude when people read one's message and don't reply. On the other hand, it is acceptable if your message is only "okay" or a "☺" or anything that's already putting an end on the conversation. Anyways, I'm guilty too. I do that often but I make sure to reply when I already have time.

• I think it's ok as long as they still reply. Also depends on what the person is to me and how many times the person does it.

• Hmm yeah that's true, I guess it depends
      Tonight it happened with the guy I like
      But he just messaged me and said his phone died (lol but I know it didn't because whatsapp has read messages)
      Don't want to call him out on it though and look like a creep

• Ohh, that sucks :/
      Maybe he was busy but said his phone died, instead. Is this the first time this happens? I think you should ignore if is and try to forget about it. But of course if he keep doing it in the future I would talk to him about it.

• Why don't you ever call them anymore? text messages are weak communication cues.

• It's not acceptable... You actually had enough time to open the message and read and not enough time to actually type stuff to respond to it? Not cool!

• I don't think it's acceptable. I hate people who do that. And I would never do it to anybody else.