Why do people think social skills is based on how often you talk?

This statement explains my point: It's QUALITY, not QUANTITY. I can't stress this enough.
Whenever I'm on here on GAG, I see people shun quiet people because they have no social skills and such. This is not true. You can be shy and socially adequate, where as you can be talkative and have the social skills of a toddler. A person who speaks 20, yet, clever words is better than the person who blabbers 500 words of nonsense. Some of the guys I know who get laid the most are quiet guys and I know chatty men who struggle.

I hate this misconception!

Most Helpful Girl

• The ability to communicate with others is called having social skills.
    So even if you are saying 500 words of pure non-sense you are still able to communicate with others versus someone who says a very little and walks away.

Though I must say,

I think I agree with the point you are getting at,
    Not all social skills are attractive!
    That we can agree on.

• But are they GOOD social skills? Not necessarily.

• Not really. I am simply quoting what the asker said..."clever words is better than the person who blabbers 500 words of nonsense."
      That is where I pretty much got "nonsense" from.
      @JSmuve if that's the case then I agree. It's better to not speak at all.
      But assuming that isn't the case and this person is just speaking about things that doesn't interest me.
      Who am I to say they are speaking non-sense? Maybe the other person finds it interesting.

• Thanks :)

What Girls Said 3

• Yes,

I like this line of yours, "A person who speaks 20, yet, clever words is better."

• Well said, stranger

• I agree. If someone talks and talks about a subject i walk away thinking " WTF did he just say, what was his point" Then some else can give an explanation on the same subject covering the important points in a couple of sentences. I then walk away impressed and remember what he'd said.

Sometimes a person talks non stop on a subject believing it makes him appear intelligent, but most of the time it makes him look like an ignorant fool because you walk away non the wiser.

I don't like people who talk and talk as they don't listen to anyone else. They just like the sound of their own voice. quieter people are generally good listeners

What Guys Said 6

• It indeed is the quality and not the quantity.
    You can be a very good listener, ask very good questions, and thus you're showing interest in the other person.
    Charmers usually are listeners.

• Does anyone think that? It's not even quantity, except as a huge generalization... well, I suppose this is GaG. It's actually being able to engage in and maintain a conversation, with a variety of people on a variety of topics, as well as start those conversations in the first place.

• you see people shun others? how exactly. they actually said they're going to shun them?

• Shyness is, by definition, a form of social inadequacy. So much for "misconceptions".

• Actually, that's not the definition. It's "the quality or state of being quiet or calm", as defined by my dictionary in my house. Perhaps you shouldn't have dropped out of high school.

• The conflict half an hour ago. @pyramid_princess

• So i'm too late? 😖. Give me a tag if there's another one 😄

• True. The key is communication.

• Thats a big one