Is Having Sex on Prom Night a Myth?

I live in the United Kingdom so our prom (at least in my school) is usually in June. It's in less than a week for me. I have a date who is a really sweet guy. I'm still a virgin at 17 and I'm the type who puts a value to it. I don't want to just give it away to someone I've simply been with, there needs to be a lot more to that, and we've only been together for about a year or so. I'm not asking for marriage, even though it's ideal. But I I don't know what to expect though. We've never talked about it and I've never even kissed him. I'd always pull away shyly or act like I didn't notice he would try to kiss me. He wouldn't force me to do anything from that point on.

Either way, our school is very sexual and his friends always make crude comments about me. Once, I overheard them asking him how I was or felt or something during (obviously) intercourse. He had to admit that we never did anything and they all laughed before saying that they would've already by now. They'd whistle at me and things of that nature and he'd seem pretty annoyed and irked by that but wouldn't talk about it with me. Well, everyone else has this notion that you're supposed to have sex on prom night, especially everyone in my school. I don't. I wouldn't even if it was the ideal love of my life. I'm scared, not prepared, and I respect myself a little more than to just give way. Is he expecting anything?

• No, it's just a myth.
  • Yes, generally people do that.

Most Helpful Girl

• At mine, I know some people did have sex, but most people didn't. I know that I definitely didn't. Besides, who cares if he's expecting anything? If he's worth your time, he'll respect that you don't want to do anything. Go, enjoy your night and your time with him, celebrate, but don't let him do anything you don't want to do. You'll have a lot more fun if you just try to remember that what you want is more important.

What Guys Said 2

• I can't vote either A or B, because you get your groups of people. There are the sexually active guys and girls (*cough cough* usually popular people with some of the guys being overconfident athletes) who go and have sex for sure. For the most part, people just go to have fun. Watch out for drinking excessively though. That will get you in trouble when it starts to get a little crazy.

Prom night for most people though is just to have fun. Not have sex. Just in case it happens, make sure you don't let him have his way with you. Guys should respect women more than that anyway.

Speaking to you on a general matter though, YOU should be the one who decides whether or not to have sex. If he is frustrated or angry because he was expecting sex on prom night, he is a total dick and I wouldn't bother with him. The worst that can happen is social issues which will go away after high school. If you lose your virginity and regret it, you'll remember it for the rest of your life and it will be a regret for the rest of your life.

• Its true. Trust me.

What Girls Said 4

• Wait till your ready. If you haven't kissed him maybe try starting with that if he's waited this long then I'm sure he will be very appreciative of you trying to go out of your comfort zone for him. You could also just talk to him communication is key to any relationship

• It's a myth but, some people do it.

• I lost my virginity to my first love night of prom

• I don't know about other people, but when I went to prom my group was too damn tired to do anything afterward. I pretended to sleep in the limo because I noticed my date had much stronger feelings for me, and he couldn't take a hint.