How do I tell if I should date this guy?

There's this guy at my church who lives an hour and a half away from me and I've liked this guy for a while. I started liking him when I was about 13 or 14 (I'm 16 right now) and ever since I first met him, I was always thinking "I want to date this guy. He seems like fun." But I've been changing my mind these last few months whether I should date him or not.
The church I go to has this annual prom, but they call it "Modest Prom." There were several slow dances and I asked this guy if I could dance with him. It was great and all, but there was so much I still wanted to tell him. (I didn't want to tell him that I really liked him and wanted to date him though. We were talking about playing the guitar and sports and I was gonna ask him if he had listened to any of my recordings that I put onto soundcloud and then post onto Facebook (Him and I are friends on Facebook)) I started to ask some of my friends if it would be weird to ask a guy to dance a second time and they all told me to just ask him.
So I did ask him, but I don't know if he heard me well enough. He just shrugged his shoulders and said, "Meh." And then went to ask a different girl to dance.

I found out last Saturday from one of the girls that he knows well enough that this guy who I had a huge crush on and danced with was one of her first boyfriends and she was the one to break up with him after a month. He had asked her out on December (before the modest prom) and I guess they broke up sometime in January.

I've never really dated anyone before, but I don't want to be that person who dates my friends ex-boyfriends. Given that one of my friends had dated him, and with what had happened at modest prom, should I date this guy or move on?

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 2

• You should move on.

• If he asks you out, say yes. Give it a chance