If Asperger's/Autism was cured, would that make people who have it happier?

And before you tell me, we should cure ignorance first..

Let me remind you that adults with Autism have the highest unemployment rate in the U. S. You also see so many threads on this site and many other about Aspie guys who struggle with finding a girlfriend despise massive effort.

Ignorance will never go away, it is the symptoms of Autism that are the problem here.

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm sure it would...

What Girls Said 5

• Probably, yes. It can make life difficult, especially in social interactions, so it might be able to give a higher quality of life. However, there can be benefits of it too so maybe some people wouldn't want a cure anyway.

• I know there are some people who like their autism and that's wonderful for them! I'm so glad that there's a part of their life that makes them happy.

But when I look at my brother who can't process things fast enough and has a horrible time interpreting almost all emotions, I know he'd be so much happier if he could keep up and understand what's going on with the people around him. We do what we can for him, but his brain is just different. Not in a bad way of course, but I've never heard him say how happy he is with his autism.

• I think it would be very very difficult. They would go from a's you said unemployed to having to find a job to take care of themselves. I honestly think that if it was cureable to do it when they are young so it's not as many massive adjustments

• Some girls not all

• Yeah, I can have quite an impact on your social relationships. If the person who has it wants to be cured it would be fine :)

On the other hand we would "rob" society of some great discoveries and inventions; just a spark of autism seems to be required to excel in the scientific field. Think of any genius in history; their field probably was their special interest.

What Guys Said 7

• Happiness is a very subjective thing

I believe that there are 2 types of happiness.

External happiness: Things like love, money, perfect bodies.

Internal happiness: silance within, accepting yourself, being greatful of everything you have and positivity. (Internal happiness =true happiness).

My friend has autism and I didn't even know he had it until a few weeks ago (we've been friends for years) and he is a happy fu**er

• Nah, I don't even think Aspergers' is all that well defined, although I'd have to do some more research on what that really even means. People tend to throw that word around far too much.

• I suppose not all some people are so ungrateful no matter what they have.

• Some don't view asperger's or autism as a disability but as a gift.

• Probably so! :D

• So which on are you asking?
    Cure the ignorance or cure the aspergers syndrome?

• Well, It would stop some of them being innapropriate and rude and just generally out of order, so, people would treat them better, and thus they would be happier.