My soon to be boyfriend is spending about a grand for our first date?

so what should I do to impress him? what do you think he wants from me if he's spending this much money on me? would you say he's serious about me?

we're going to a very expensive place for our first date. second, I'd like to know how to resolve his esteem issues. third, I am attracted to him and he wants me too.
why is everyone assuming he's problematic?

Most Helpful Girl

• not necessarily. some guys have a large amount of disosable income so a grand might not even be a lot to him. it sounds like he could be tricking off, I'm not saying he is, but when guys do that that doesn't mean they really care. its not the total amount of money spent, its the thought that counts and the intent behind it. now if you were dating a guy that had a low income and he saved up a grand to buy you a ring that would prove he's serious about you because it took him a lot of effort to do that. but this guy may have a lot of money already so a grand on the first date might be nothing to him ya know? you have to judge if he's serious by how he treats you

What Guys Said 3

• Really? This guy has emotional problems. I can promise you that. He's trying to buy your love instead of earn it. He's trying to give you reasons why to choose him, instead of just being himself, and letting you accept him for who he is. Guys like this have self esteem problems.

• Its impact really depends on how wealthy he is. If he isn't very wealthy, then spending a thousand dollars on a first date is ridiculous spendthrift behavior. If he is wealthy, then why not. To be honest I wouldn't spend money like that even if I could afford burn such sums, because it's not very responsible and gives the impression that one is overcompensating.

• Wait a second, your "soon to be boyfriend"? You haven't been on a single date with the guy yet but you've already decided you want him for a boyfriend. I wonder.

• He's spending $1,000 on your first date? Wtf? He's telling you he's spending that much on the first date? Um why? Sounds like an insecure, emotionally crippled problematic boy to me. I'd stay away if I were you.

What Girls Said 3

• First of all, If a man ever tells you how much he is spending on you (I'm assuming he told you because you stated it) PRIOR to the date (or even after for that matter), not only is inappropriate, but it's also very selfish. He wants you to feel compromised. In his mind he wants you to think you owe him something in return because he forked over a chunk of cash. I say go on the date, spend all his money, and never call him again. He sounds like a tool. The only one that can solve his issues is HIM.

• Who you know he's speanding so much money on you?

• He's a fool. (I don't care how much money he has; that is just plain ridiculous.) And you can't resolve his esteem issues, only he can. I could never marry someone who was so irresponsible with money. He's trying to buy your affection. It says nothing about his seriousness for you, but a whole lot about what he thinks will impress you.