Girls, should the guy pay for your date?

I honestly don't know why some women are bothered with a man paying for dates. It might be some feminism, but for me dates are not about gender equality. If you are bothered with a man paying for you, why are you?

• Yes, I expect him to pay on every date.
    16% (8)
  • Yes, but I only expect him to pay on the first date.
    12% (6)
  • I'd offer to pay, but if he rejects the offer I happily let him pay.
    38% (19)
  • No, but if he insists I let him.
    30% (15)
  • No, it's sexist and stupid.
    4% (2)
And you are? I'm a GirlGuys can not vote on this poll

23

Most Helpful Girl

• When I was younger I used to think it was sexiest and stupid. Now I expect him to pay on every date.
    There were some reasons that I wanted to pay in dates when I was younger:
    1) feminism
    2) my personality
    3) The same amount of money had a higher value in my perception then compeared to now, I thought that it was a lot
    4) feeling in debt
    5) law self-esteem: thinking that why would someone want to give me something
    6) Just to be correct
    7) when I decided that I wouldn't go on a another date with that guy, I thought at least I wil pay for the date
    8) Just to look simple and because I had the money, if I didn't have them or if I had planned spending them on another thing, I wouldn't feel bad if he would pay
    9) I thought that the guy would appreciate it if I pay
    10) If the guy has said something about money and spendings during the date or if I doubt that he thinks that I have gone on the date just for a free thing (so to prove the opposite)
    (some of them might be subcounscious reasons)

What Girls Said 22

• He asked me out, he pays for every date unless if we're official. It's weird to me for people to share the pay in relationships because I'm used to guys simply paying for me, but I wouldn't mind doing it if we're in a relationship.

But if HE asked ME out then he should pay. I'm not going to split half the bill nor am I going to pay for him. If he "forgets" his card, looks like he's going to be doing dishes.

• I don't think any one person in the relationship should have to pay for everything. If I'm on a date I'll offer to share the expenses, but I won't make a big deal about it if he doesn't want me to. If I'm in a relationship usually he'll pay for one date, I'll pay for the next one.

• I know I am going to get hell for this, but... I am old fashioned when it comes to dating and usually date men who are as well. If he asks me out, he should pay. I have never had an issue with this. Every man I have ever dated has always picked up the bill, no questions asked. Even my male friends pick up the bill when we go out and that I do not expect and in that situation I have offered and even fought over it, but they always insist.

• i think both should pay for the date

• I think the one who invited should pay when it comes to dates, totally independent on gender here

• Whoever invites the other to the date should pay

• In my opinion it should be 50/50 all the time.

• I think it's a nice thing to do but I don't expect it. I used to fight over the bill with my ex.

• I believe the person who does the asking should do the paying. That's how I was raised. However my guy doesn't let me pay for anything when I'm with him.

• I go by the "whoever asks pays" rule for the first date, unless they really insist and I don't want to make a fuss. If they insist, I generally say something like "Okay, but I'm getting drinks/the nest date". After that it's usually just split the bill or take turns.

• It's whoever asks the other out that's supposed to pay although the other should offer if they feel so inclined

• I prefer to split the bill on the first date, and then take turns later.

• Who ever does the asking should pay. Generally I pay my own way though.

• In a perfect world, we would both pay for the meal, but I mean free food is never a bad thing, so I won't ever make a guy let me pay if he offers.

• I think both the guy and girl should pay for dates

• Society makes it seem like the guy should pay but I don't care who does. But I've always split the bill w the guy.

• I'll pay for my food and he pays for his. I do not want anyone thinking I owe them 'favors' or need theur money.

• I don't think it's sexist or stupid. I just prefer to pay for myself.

• both should pay its a thing of TWO people not only him but if he insists well okay hahah

• Taking turns is fine after the first date or splitting is ok too. I prefer it actually

• I'd rather pay for myself on all my dates, even if we are in a long relationship. I appreciate the gesture when the guy offers, but I feel bad. I am able to pay for myself so I don't mind. This way we can focus on having fun and not have financial worries getting in the way, if it does get in the way.

• I expect it. He asked me out. It is traditional that he pay.