How to use all this modern technology?

How many of you have asked a person for a first date/hanging out (or whatever you call it now so it doesn't sound too serious) by a text message rather than in a face-to-face or telephone voice conversation?

• I'm a guy; I have asked a girl for a first date in a text message at least once
  • I'm a guy; I have asked a girl for a first date but never in a text message
  • I'm a guy; I have never asked a girl for a first date
  • I'm a girl; I have asked a guy for a first date in a text message at least once
  • I'm a girl; I have asked a guy for a first date but never in a text message
  • I'm a girl; I have never asked a guy for a first date

Most Helpful Girl

• To be honest I've never really asked anyone out at my age.. I prefer friends over boyfriends right now. I like having a person I can depend on rather than having a baseless relationship.

Most Helpful Guy

• I dislike how society has become... phones are now just advanced pagers...
    what happen to the days where people would use the darn phone to actually talk? !

• That's what I'm talking about! People use technology to avoid interactions. They go out to dinner with friends and everybody sits around texting. They want a date, right? They want to get to know this girl better; they want to spend time with her. . . but they can't call her on the phone to ask for a date. . . and when I point out the obvious problem, most of them accuse me of being a technophobe.

What Girls Said 1

• Clearly you don't have too much trouble with modern technology, being that you are currently using it.

• No, I know how to use technology and I don't hate technology in general. I use a smart phone, I text, I am very computer literate. However, I hate the way some young people use texting to avoid actually talking to a potential romance interest, asking for a first date via text, or breaking up in a text message. That's just wrong and it leads to people being a little bit weaker emotionally and not connecting.

• Which probably contributes to the higher rates of social anxiety nowadays.

What Guys Said 3

• most people doin it via textin these days :)

• I fear that you are right and I find that regrettable. I think that many young people use technology to avoid dealing with emotions openly and honestly. . . and they then wonder why they didn't feel an emotional connection with the lady!

• that's y emoticons x-ist... to x-press real life emotions :p
      glas 2 know dat though... u look like an open-minded person :D

• I organise meeting by texts which is pretty standard, I will then use these meetings to request a date face to face. I feel feelings are portrayed better through expression alongside words.

• I'm old school, had to use the phone, texting didn't exist when I was dating