Does an individual really need someone else to make them feel complete? (Like a significant other)?

I was just wondering since I've been single for a very long time ( I don't want to disclose it here because it's embarassing). Do you really need to have a girlfriend or boyfriend to make you happy. I know people who have been single for their whole life and look like they are enjoying it. Others say that life is not worth living if you don't share experiences with some one you have feelings for or " Love". From what I';ve seen some people are just not meant to be in relationships because of their personalities or the way they look.

Most Helpful Girl

• I've been single my whole life, and I am not enjoying it. I get sadder and sadder every day about the whole situation. I know that people say being in a relationship won't necessarily make you happy if you're not happy alone already, but I just don't know, I do want love, and I feel like if I had someone who appreciates me, cares about me and loves me, I definitely would be a happier person.
    But, of course, some people don't feel the need to share their life with someone special, they're perfectly okay being alone. I'm kinda jealous of them.

• You're very young so that is a common feeling. When you get older you will realize what really is important because you will be busy with School or something that takes up a lot of your time. I know because I was like that especially during my high school years. I never had a girlfriend during those years either and even though it sucked because my best friends did have gf's, I just did things that took my mind off of them like focus on getting to college and now that I'm in College i'm focusing on getting my degree and graduating as well. Trust me, there's more important things than relationships because there a million things that can give you happiness besides that. You just have to find it.

• Well, if that's what some people are supposed to learn from relationships, that they're no good, I wanna learn it myself. I'm not gonna give up hope that it may be amazing, because people who have experience with relationships says that they're shit and it's better to be single.
      And 3 relationships by age 22 is a lot, I feel like I'll have to wait for my first one till I'm like 74, I don't see anything happening anytime soon. O_o I'd honestly consider myself SO LUCKY if I suddenly got a boyfriend. But thank you, I hope so too.

• Well you're right about learning from relationships because it helps you grow as a person. You also learn a lot about yourself. Yeah 3 relationships by 22 may seem like a lot, but they didn't last long. I honestly think u will find someone, but it might happen unexpectedly (As stupid as it sounds).

What Girls Said 5

• You don't need a romantic someone but you definitely need a friend or someone to fill in that gap

• Yeah that's what I was thinking. I have a lot of friends so I don't really feel lonely most of the time lol

• I believe that you don't need to experience the kind of happy that puts you on "the over-top of the world" kind of happy to enjoy life. Love and girl/boyfriend relationships just get you to that point faster and it could possibly last longer than whatever else puts you on the edge of the world.

• No, that's a load of BS that society likes to tell you.

• I think it's kinda sad, if people can't feel complete whitout a partner.

• Not at all.

What Guys Said 1