How do I get over my fear of injections?

I have had a very serious fear of needles/injections my whole life. I usually have to be forced to get necessary shots, otherwise I would not even consider. I have stopped getting the flu shot because of my fear. Whenever I am receiving a shot, I panic. My heart rate goes up, I breathe faster, and I involuntarily start to cry. (Childish, but I don't mean to -- the tears just come. I'm not full on sobbing, just silently crying. If that makes sense.) I start panicking just thinking about shots. I will even start crying when I think of them. It's bad and quite embarrassing.

I am getting a tonsillectomy in a few days and I know I will have to have an IV. I also know that I will react in the same way I always do and will just make it harder for everyone. I don't want this to happen. How can I get over this fear?

Most Helpful Guy

• I think you are like me, it's a fear of the pain more than anything. I have regular blood tests every 2-3 months and I have a stay in hospital at some point in the future.

All I can say is that after a while, you get more used to them. I know that's not an answer, I don't think there is one. You and I are not alone, there are many, many, like us. Don't feel embarrassed. it is a natural reaction when you know something is going to hurt.

What Guys Said 3

• You just have to overcome your fear of needles with fear of death. If you don't get your shots, you will die. You don't want that, do you?

• Just try and relax - Think of it this way millions of people get injections and nothing happens

• You need to close your eyes... It really hurts for just a second, and it is over before you know it...
    And what would you like... a second or 2 of a small sting... or risking to become infected by sickness for days, weeks or months? :)

What Girls Said 0