Have you ever dated someone with a mental disorder?

If so, what was their diagnosis?
How was it?

Most Helpful Girl

• Being in Healthcare, I found myself one year here, dear, working in a Group Home as a "House Mother" they called us. Guys were House Fathers.
    In the few months I was working in this particular house Upstate, New York, I found myself involved with a guy who was the same age as me and we had started a little romance.
    An employee is not allowed to be involved personally with his or her client so we had to make light of a secret yearning we had with one another while I made... An Earning working there.
    I then made up my mind to find another job in the same field so I could pursue a relationship with Bobby and see where it might go. The people at ARC warned me that Bobby was very Difficult and he was IN there because of his emotional problems, that were probably more deep seated than I really ever knew... However I found out soon enough.
    Into our being together for almost a month, it wasn't long where I found out just how 'Emotional' this loose cannon really was. His temper was very babyish, boyish, yet very scary and hairy and I ended up Ending It... Very Quickly. xx

What Guys Said 5

• my second serious girlfriend was diagnosed with bipolar... it was tough. I loved her dearly but she had terrible self esteem and was always seeking attention. we dated for 6 months and then I went to another town for college. Almost immediately she started cheating on me because she needed attention and affirmation

my 3rd girlfriend had dealt with anorexia before I met her. It was fine

• Yes my first girlfriend was Schizophrenia and my last girlfriend was
    Bipolar , Personality disorder, Learning disability.

• No, never will either.

• I don't think so.

• Yes it was absolutely shit. Depression they are too self centered and selfish.

What Girls Said 6

• My boyfriend bipolar. its horrible but i know its not his fault.

I have anorexia and anxiety and he stuck with me through the worst parts so i'm sticking with his psycho ass through the tough parts.

• umm nope..

• Not dated, but a strong and close friendship with a guy who had bipolar disorder. He didn't know about it when we were close friends and he pretty much dragged me into it. He's currently taking medication, and not mentally abusive nor depressive anymore.

• Depression. It was the hardest thing to cope with.

• I never have and never will. If i date someone they have to be mentally stable. I have seen too many people with Mental Disorders destroy peoples lives. Although , i do have empathy for them... i keep them at a distance

• I haven't dated but I have a really close friend with adhd. He doesn't seem any different to me than any other person would be. Just sometimes he gets a little too hyper and I have to calm him down a bit and he forgets certain tasks he had to do. But I could see myself being in a relationship with him, no problem.