How to ask your ex to hang out?

I always feel like I need to include a backstory:
My ex and I broke up about 6 months ago, in my opinion it was pretty trivial. There was no cheating or jealousy, just a poor judgement call. We saw each other for the first time last week in about 3 months, even though we kind of kept in touch after the breakup - meeting for coffee once and then just texting once a month or so. I saw him at a party and things basically picked up where we left off (when it was good). We were comfortable with each other, conversation flowed, we even danced a little bit. At the end of the night he walked me home. He asked to come upstairs to charge his phone and we had some wine and talked some more. There was a bit of flirting going on and arms/hands/legs were touching, but nothing happened. I wasn't ready for it to anyway. He said that he was really grateful that we were still able to be friendly, and that was very mature on my part. He also talked about how we have a connection. We touched on the breakup and he told me that he should have talked to me about the event which triggered our breakup rather than just making an assumption, and saying he was wrong and maybe things would have been different if he had. I think he subtly tried to find a way to stay but he eventually left, and on the way out told me I could always call him if I needed him.
I haven't heard from him in a week now, but I'm not that worried. He's a good guy and never has vindictive motives or anything and he's not dating anyone else. Canada Day is in 2 days and I want to see what he's doing. I don't want anything to happen (not ready for that), I just want to enjoy his company and maybe see where we stand... taking anything (friendship or otherwise) slow. Has anybody ever done this and had good results? How can I do it without him thinking I want to hook up or get back together?

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 1

• ask to go somewhere simple.