So I'm leaving town and he wants to keep in touch but not commit what does this mean?

We have been together for about 3 weeks, dating. I'm leaving town and he doesn't want to commit said he isn't ready but wants to keep in touch. We're both single then I suppose but I don't get where that makes us stand? Like... Do you think he cares or he doesn't want to commit to long distance?

Most Helpful Girl

• You both have Only been together for '3 weeks, dating,' and Hopefully Counting With... Keep in touch.
    He may not be totally into a LDR, which is one of the hardest to Have and to Uphold of Any relationship. And with him trying to be this Honest John, with keeping you in mind, 'Keeping in touch,' in Time... You will see if he keeps his word at least in being a Friend.
    If you both find yourselves pushing those buttons after you go, contacting one another, then I don't see why distance should keep you from at least getting together when you both have the time and the money and Eventually... See if there is More in Store.
    For now, he probably 'Cares' but just doesn't want to 'Commit' to You or Anything heavy, and even when you both were at face length, he still may have been keeping you at arm's length with no strings attached.
    Good luck. xx

• Thank you for your response I understand what your saying. I just don't want to be stupid when it comes to the whole distance thing. We won't be able to see each other and that sucks. If he finds someone else then I suppose that could happen. As that could for me to. I don't like how we're leaving it at were both single though. It makes me think that I wasted my time and that what we have is nothing at this point

• oh, so welcome, and I do understand where you are at. You write here that we won't be able to see each other, and with That being said, if you don't think it ever would be possible for face to face, then in order to just move on, tell him "Sure, keep in touch," and go about your life. If he feels like you, with no ever seeing one another again, then maybe he too will just leave it at this as well. I don't believe any relationship is ever a waste but an experience. xx

What Guys Said 4

• He is keeping all options open. If he doesn't want to lose you, but also if someone else enters the picture he wants the freedom to pursue them. Shady deal if you ask me.

• I feel it's shady to. So what do you suggest I go about this? Should I tell him that I don't really understand what we are after I leave, and do we have the freedom to be with other people? Like..

• Well, if you are going away for a long time or indefinitely, I can understand his view point. I am not a big believer in LDR. I think they suck. If I was dating someone I would want to see them and physically be near them all the time. Since you only dated for a few short weeks he probably doesn't know you well enough to make that investment in someone he won't see much of. He would probably rather date someone else and is just wording it like this to prevent hurting your feelings. I would say to basically let it go. He needs to have enough interest to maintain a LDR and I sense he hasn't known you long enough to reach that level of interest in order to commit. Basically you each shared each other and had fun for a few weeks, but unfortunately your life is going in one direction, and his the other. How long are you going for? Is it temporary or permanent?

• Are you just going out of town for a bit, or are you moving?

• Yeah I'll be back in August...

• So he doesn't like me enough then?

• Not at this point knowing you're going to be apart for longer than you've been together

• It means that he'd find it a pity if he'd lose such a good friend

• It means he wants to have other women when you aren't there

What Girls Said 3

• usually he doesn't want to commit to a long distance relationship so that means when you left and he told you that? Dude you're a single pringle

• Keep u as a friend but not as a girlfriend because he doesn't have daily time for u

• He is trying to break it off or ask do you want to be a booty call.