Guys, would you stop dating a girl if you found out she has a mental illness?

I'm not talking about a serious mental illness that would need her to be admitted into a psych ward permanently or anything of the sort. I'm talking about one that could be handled out of the hospital using the help of a therapist or psychiatrist, like mild depression, an eating disorder, or an anxiety disorder. Would you be willing to live with that or would you just break up with her? Answer honestly please :)

14

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes I would break up with her. I don't buy into the whole 'She's worth it' logic since there are literally 3.5 billion females on the planet, 2 billion of which are within the dating age, so my chances of finding someone just as compatible/more compatible without any mental illness is high enough to justify leaving this person.

I'm not one of these corny saps that act like this girl is my everything and without her I'm lost. She's just a woman; She can be replaced like any other person can be replaced.

• I'd give her a fair chance first. If she shows interest, I give her a chance at bat. It's not corny to have a sense of loyalty.

What Guys Said 13

• Since I was dating her, I obviously like her, including all that she is, so why would I stop daying her?

• Anxiety? Sure. I have it too. Eating disorder? Why not?

But depression? Well... I've had a girlfriend that bad major depression. She was suicidal and she self harmed. It was scary... to say the least. Sometimes she would call me at 1:00 in the morning, sobbing, telling me she was worthless and that i deserve better than her. She told me she was going to commit suicide. And she did this several times throughout our relationship.

I don't know if I'd be able to handle that again...

• If i find out the girl i was dating had a mental illness, it would change nothing. In my eyes she would still be perfect

• No... I mean it does add a slight burden to things but if you really care you'd help them get better... support is always a strong pillar on the road to wellness

• Nahhh once i become artached to u, its hard to let chu go baby. Its all LUV 💋

• I'd rather not.

• Yeah of course I would date her most people have one I have one so its not a biggie to me personally

• depends. to be honest, no. since mental illness doesn't really exist.

• No I'd keep on dating her.

• depends what. being depressed for a yr is different than a serious case of schitzophrenia

• Absolutely not. I'd try my best to help her through it.

• No I wouldn't

• If you had a true loving boyfriend he wouldn't care if you live in a boxuch less a mild mentle illness