My boyfriend won't compliment me?

I'm literally so confused by my boyfriend. I love him to bits but he never compliments me and I have to ask him if I look nice and he will say "you look fine".

He he can't seem to even say it when I'm with him, aside from that he criticises me a lot and I lose things because I put things down and they vanish and even if it doesn't effect him he will take the opportunity to tell me what an idiot I am and how I never learn and don't listen when he "tells" me to be more careful. I have to ask him to say thank you when I cook him dinner and if it's not up to scratch he makes comments. He even said "if you did what I said life would be easier" in a recent argument about me losing something.

It's not that I don't accept what has happened its that he's take any oppurtnity to have a go!

why is he so hard on me all the time?

Most Helpful Girl

• Sorry to say.. But it sounds like he isn't happy in the relationship. My ex did this when he started cheating. It's a way to deflect everything on you, and make you seem like the problem so he doesn't have to look at himself.
    Some men don't compliment often because they are shy, or they assume that you already know what they think... But they don't down right criticize constantly. A good guy would be happy that you made him dinner in the first place. Even if it was a fucking peanut butter and jelly. You may think you love this guy, but once you cut him loose and find somebody decent who treats you correctly you'll probably realize that this one was just an asshole, and then wonder what you saw in him in the first place.

What Guys Said 4

• That's unfortunate; maybe he's not good with words, but good with actions to show how much he cares or compliment about you that way

• Because he doesn't love you. He takes you for granted

• Well I don't see why he shouldn't criticize your food if it tastes bad. Nor do I see to much of a problem with him criticizing you for being Irisponsible and losing things however those two things are completely besides the point and I think they were added to get pity points. Anyways to answer your original question most guys don't compliment constantly or very often at all because they don't have validation issues.

• Sounds control demanding person

What Girls Said 3

• Because he's a dick and you deserve better. My ex displayed similar behavior, and since I've met my current boyfriend of 3 years, it's been the happiest time I've ever had. I know it's hard and confusing, I stayed with him for 2 and a half years, but you have to think about yourself a little bit. Good luck to you, but remember than you don't need to put up with shot that you don't deserve. :)

• I just can't understand why he thinks it's acceptable to call me out over things that don't affect him. I've told him I'm not your responsibility, your not my dad and he's just makes remarks like if I don't tell you, you'll never learn. Does my head in, xx

• Maybe he's taking you for granted thinking that he can say whatever he deems fit no matter how it affects you. He probably doesn't realize what he's doing, but I advise you to bring it to his attention. If he still acts careless, the only way he would see what he's doing is by losing you, even if it's temporary (don't let him know that though because he won't get the picture if he thinks he still has you) but, I'm not an expert, I'm only applying my life experiences to your situation

• He doesn't love you as much as you love him. When a man truly loves a woman he'll give her the works, to him she is the world and the littlest things you do mean the world to him. I would just bring up these concerns with him.

• Sounds to me this behavior will never change and he doesn't appreciate you. Tell him how you feel. If he doesn't change. Leave!

• I'm gonna sit down with him soon I think, I'm stressed out enough as it is arm. Xx