Would you stop dating someone if they didn't want children?

Would you hope they'd change their mind?
Would you just end it right there; you'd potentially be wasting years of your life with someone if having kids is really important to you.

• Yes I would
  • No I wouldn't
  • Unsure
  • I don't want children/ might not want children

Most Helpful Guy

• Not at my age. The chances of me meeting the woman I settle down with in the next year or two is unlikely and the chances that neither of us would change our minds if we did meet is very unlikely.

For the next few years, I wouldn't even think of kids as my own opinions might change. Then as I get older and feel ready to be a parent and confident in what I want, I might start making that a requirement.

What Guys Said 13

• This is a pretty important area of compatibility. I would have to be with someone that wanted the same things, not half assed about something so critical.

• I answered this today, so copy and paste

if I were about to marry a girl, I would like to know previously if she wants to have kids or nah, because if she doesn't wanna have or she is unsure about that then I wouldn't be in a relationship with her in the first place.

• Not instantly, I'd give a time interval for them to change their mind.

Eventually it's either GO/NO-GO though. Girls have a spiked miscarriage rate after 30, after all.

• You probably arnt going to change someones mind if they are dead set one way or the other. But rushing that conversation isn't going to go down well either. Gah.. I dont know. If I loved the girl I would give up wanting to have kids to be with her.

• I'd wait a little while for them to change their mind. If they still don't want kids, then I'm gone.

• I do want kids, it's unfair of me to be with someone who doesn't and try convincing them otherwise.

• I'd want to adopt someday if anything, but it's not something I'd want to do anytime soon.

• I can't. It's wrong.

• I don't think I want kids so that's fine

• I want children eventually, , , , , so I will ask her, if she persists I would stop..

• yass i think it would be the right thing to do

• Fine by me as currently i don't want kids

• No, if I'm having a good time that doesn't matter.. at the moment.

What Girls Said 20

• I never wanted children, so ending up with a man who also didn't want them and couldn't have them was perfect for both of us.

In the past, I was actually dealing with the opposite of this question: what to do if a guy wanted children, when I didn't. Or what I would do if I dated a guy with kids and he expected more out of our relationship.

The decision to have children or not to have them is just too important to ignore no matter which side of the fence you're on. Those that are able to just switch to deciding to flip the other way to maintain their relationships are really more strong and accepting than I give them credit for because they never truly know what they're giving up or getting in to all for love. Perhaps it's that love that means more in the end, but for someone like me, my choice to be childfree had always been stronger.

• Not sure...
    If I thought I was looking for a husband and he didn't want children I would. If we're still not sure whether we're good for each other I wouldn't.

If there's no way he'd change his mind and we're excellent with each other - it would be a tough decision. O. o
    I have no idea what I'd do!

• I desperately want children, but my current boyfriend doesn't want to get married or have kids and it broke my heart when he told me he wanted a vasectomy...
    I love him though, so I have been trying to convince myself out of it, as long as I can be with him I can try to sacrifice that part of me... Still I end up crying at night some days.

I know it'll eventually come to a head, but I'm young enough to pretend for now.

• He's only young too assuming he's your age haha, he might change his mind

• Yeah... I'll just be living in this delusional world till I hit 26 abd have to have kids I guess

• I would not stay with that guy for the long term. If he doesn't want kids, it's not going to work. That's something that can't be compromised on.

• I would never be with someone who didn't want kids. I've always wanted to be a mother and no one will get in my way in being one

• i would hope he would change his mind.. but if i like an awesome caring and soooo perfect guy.. then i would not end my relationship with him just because or kids... who are not even born yet.. that doesn't make sense to me..

• Yes ! Because im going to get attached to that person eventually and who knows if we stay together long and get excited over are future i know im not going to get what i want in the end so why even start dating someone when they dont want what your looking for

• Yes, I would just end it. Cause I love children and O would want to have children at some point in my life. I wouldn't waste my time on someone who doesn't likes kids even if he treats me good

• yes i would because I WANT KIDS

• No because I dont want any either.

• No. I don't really want children but I'm not completely against having them. Not wanting to have children won't affect the love I have for him.

• I want to have kids in my late 20's or early 30's and If I was having something serious, then yes I would stop dating him because I want to have a big family one day. But at the moment I don't mind dating someone who doesn't want kids.

• No, I wouldn't. I also don't want children, so it would be perfect for me.

• I can't bear children so it would be a non issue for me.

• If you don't see yourself spending the rest of your life with someone than it isn't worth it anyway. They may also change their mind depending on their age. If this is really a big issue sit down with them and talk about it.

• I'd only date someone who didn't want children.

• I can date but i won't marry.

• Nope. I love kids but I wouldn't want any of my own.

• If I were in a place where I saw this relationship getting serious, and I did want children, most likely I would break up with them eventually. Otherwise, I see serious problems in the future.

If I didn't want kids, or wasn't thinking of having kids anytime soon, I might just wait it out. However, if that relationship did get serious to the point that we were together until the stage in my life where I would want children, that would be a huge problem, obviously.

• I don't want children they get in the way and it's over rated. All my friends that have children complain all. The. Time.