What is ptsd? am I suffering from it?

I was diagnosed with scoliosis from the age of 4. I needed a check-up, twice every year. At he age of 12 it got worse and i had to wear a heavy boston back brace for about 4,5 years/24/7, during that time of my life fell apart, i isolated myself, i was depressed, life had no meaning since i had no control or say over my body. At the age of 23 i still suffer from the side effects without me knowing it, i lose interest quickly, life feels empty, i hardly make friends because i dont feel like hanging out, im insecure and easily angered, never had a boyfriend because guys can't handle me. Are these side effects of ptsd?

Most Helpful Guy

• that's not PTSD.

PTSD is post traumatis stress disorder. Most commonly whitnessed in war vets, but it can happen fro manything giving extrepe psychological stress, like rape, armed robberies, assault, severe car accidents... you name it.
    One telltale sign of it is that there is one key event (either single case or repeated) that caused it to happen. Also certain actions will trigger flashbacks or breakdowns. For example those getting it from car accidents sometimes can't even sit behind the wheel on a car because it makes them "relive" the accident. War vets can have flasbacks from fireworks, or even someone making a loud noise similar to gunshots near them...
    This is the most visible indicator of it. Trouble sleeping, anxiety, nervous breakdowns, and similar can also be symptoms.
    Too many seem to instantly think something is PTSD, simply because it's a well known diagnosis. But the thing is that it is as said often caused by a specific and easily identifiable event.

However you lack one of the core identifiers of PTSD, and it seems you lack any clear trigger. I'd say we're looking at a much simpler problem with depression at a younger age, causing improper psychological development and improper development of social skills.

But you should see someone who knows this shit to get it tested.

What Guys Said 2

• Post traumatic stress disorder- victims who sufferd from it had something traumatic happened to them in the past. I suffered from it as a kid because my dad heald a knife around my mothers throat when I was 5 I would get flash backs and lose interest in everything. I would even be withdrawn from my surroundings and people in general. I wouldn't respond to anybody.

• Why dont u ask a doctor about that?

What Girls Said 4

• PTSD typically means post traumatic stress disorder. You typically see it in veterans who come back from war or people who went through other tragic events like a fire or kidnapping. Not what you're describing. You're talking about depression.

• PTSD typically happens an event that can be seen as psychologically traumatic. I suppose your having to wear a brace could be seen as that if you were bullied for it or it negatively effected your life. However i can't diagnose over internet really, even though i am a trainee therapist.

I've got ptsd and i got what you describe though, with a bunch more stuff thrown on top.

• I doubt it, PTSD is Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. A lot of combat veterans and victims of crimes have it.
    What you have sounds exactly like Depression though.

• I don't think that is necessarily ptsd. Although it could be, but I'd talk to a professional about that. Everyone deserves to be happy.