My boyfriend is embarrassed to be seen with me?

Yesterday, he admitted to me that he's embarrassed to be seen in public with me. In private he's a very nice and caring person, in public he holds my hand too but sometimes he tries to unhold my hand. I asked him why is he embarrassed of me he said I've always want to be with a pretty, cute, fine, gorgeous girl etc. and I asked him then you think I'm ugly? He said "No you're very cute and beautiful. It's not you it's me I need to go get over it myself". What? I don't get it why is he embarrassed of me? His wordings and answers are very confusing?

Most Helpful Girl

• That's not cool :( I'd get a better boyfriend if I was you. Clearly he doesn't think you're attractive enough to be seen with him in the public, but he doesn't want to hurt you, hence why when you asked that question, he denied and said that he does find you attractive. ''It's not you, it's me, I need to get over myself'' basically meant ''I need to learn how to be ok being seen in public with someone like you, and not care what others will think''. Harsh, but I think that's how it is. He's a bad boyfriend, you should be with someone who is proud to be with you and wants to show you off to the world.

What Guys Said 2

• Gotta echo what the ladies are saying here.

It sounds like he's dealing with some kind of self-esteem issues where he thinks the woman on his arm should look a certain way to make him feel better about himself.

• But he said I'm cute and beautiful then why the hell is he embarrassed of me? :(

• Cute enough for private. Not for public where his issues can be seen by everyone

Is there a big age difference or something? I can't think of many other reasons why he would be that way, but honestly, not all guys are.

• Sounds like he thinks you're not pretty enough for him.

• But he said I'm beautiful?

• My guess is he's lying so he doesn't have to give up what he's got now until he finds something "better".

What Girls Said 4

• Sounds to me like he's just looking to upgrade his current model. Not really a great boyfriend in my opinion. No boyfriend/girlfriend should be embarrass by who their dating and if they are what's the point of dating. You should be proud not embarrassed. Sorry your dating a superficial asshole and sorry if that sounds mean.

• Break up with him. Why would you want to data guy who is embarrassed of you? that shows a lot about your self esteem. Tell him to stop or break up with him.

• I wouldn't want a boyfriend like that.
    How old is he?

• He's 17 turning 18 soon...

• leave him asap.