Can you be friends with a girl who stopped casually dating you?

So I was casually dating a guy for a few months and let him know that I couldn't get too invested unless there was a potential for something longterm. Since he couldn't promise me that since he was really uncertain about where he was going to get a job, we agreed to stop and focus on our friendship instead. Since I'm the one that brought it up and sort of ended it, I'm wondering if it's possible to keep the friendship. I like him, and wish we could've gone further, but we have different priorities right now.

Most Helpful Guy

• Hmm, good question. I most cases I would not want to be friends. I think I would always have some feelings and it would be just too hard be with her often, but never be able to have her. It would be harder to watch her date someone else too. Since in your case it is sorta a mutual separation for the same reasons I would be ok with being friends if there was some underlying understanding of getting back together someday in the future. Not to say you would be forbidden from dating someone else, but if you did, then I would no longer be friends for the reasons already mentioned.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 2

• i am in a very very similar situation, but with us it was cuz he was in a relationship and then broke up with her for me only to realize he needed time to heal (understandable) and he was also leaving for a few months so he didn't wanna start something. now its 8 months later and were talking again. but I've got no clue where i stnd with him

• yes you can/