Is this just a hookup or something real?

I met this guy on Facebook about a month ago and he was flirting a whole lot but I was not receptive to said flirting because I was still not over my breakup. He asked me what was wrong because I "seemed like I didn't want to talk to him" and I told him that he did nothing wrong and that I was just going through a breakup and whatnot. I opened up to him about it and he kept trying to cheer me up, which I really appreciated. One day, he asked me out on a date and I didn't feel like it at first but then I was like "what the heck, I can't stay locked up at home forever" so I said yes. We hit it off and kept texting back and forth for a while... I started to really like him. We became really close over the course of the next few weeks and I started to really develop feelings for him.
We were just hanging out two weeks ago and out of nowhere, he just kissed me and it turned into an intense makeout session. He said that he's been wanting to do that for a while because he really likes me, thinks I'm beautiful, etc. Things didn't go any further than that, and we just kept cuddling and kissing every time we were together.
I was with him again a few days ago, one thing led to another and we got to second base. After that, I started wondering where we're even going with this. I haven't felt this way about anyone since my breakup 8 months ago and I really want things to work out. I mean like we're really close and he never said anything about just wanting to hook up, nor has he ever referred to me as his "friend". I would ask him what's going on, but having "the talk", especially this early, always seems to scare off the guys I date so I'm not about to do that.
Does this seem like it's just a hookup or could it be something more? For the guys, do you treat women that you want to pursue a relationship with any different than women that you just hook up with? And is there anything at this point that I can do to avoid becoming just a friend with benefits?

What Guys Said 1

• How many times have you hung out? Most guys who just want to hit-it-and-quit-it will give up after 3 or 4 dates with no action. From your description it could totally be something more. I know it's only a month, but he seems into you.

As for how guys act... I do act differently when pursuing a relationship. Can't speak for all guys, but I imagine most of us do. Effort to cheer you up would be a tell from me that I'm looking for a relationship. Once again, that's just me, but I hope it helps.

What Girls Said 1

• just a hook up.