Girls, do you think we should go back to the days of chivalry and courtship?

I saw this mentioned here and I'm curious about girls thoughts on it.

Have the days of guys courting women been and gone and does chivalry no longer hold a place in our new, feminist-influenced world which strives for gender equality? Or would you love some of the traditional parts of dating brought back?

Please vote and explain why below.

• No, chivalry and courtship need to go.
    19% (7)
  • Yes, chivalry and courtship are great and I love it when guys do it.
    72% (26)
  • Other
    9% (3)
And you are? I'm a GirlGuys can not vote on this poll

13

Most Helpful Girl

• Wish there were more of these fantastic men out here, some that are around my age and not 400 years old would be great <3

• So you don't think it's sexist or offensive?

• Thanks for MHO. (:

• Thank you for the kind words, m'lady. (See? Chivalry. XD )

What Girls Said 12

• Chivalry, or just maintaining respect for everyone, especially of the opposite sex/your significant other, still exists. Not so much as back in the day perhaps because females began to abuse it. Pulled the feminist card far too many times, to the point guys would either be viewed as rude for not opening their car door/pay their bill, or would be made to look like a mindless fool as their women played them like a marionette with all these societal gender norms.

Yes, I'd love some of the traditional parts of dating brought back to become more mainstream. However, only under the condition that a large portion of women take themselves off the pedestal. A good relationship is all about maintaining a balance of give/take. Which means, if you want to be treated like a princess when dating, it wouldn't hurt to cook for/massage your man when he's back from a rough day at work.

• Honestly, I picked other (and am apparently the only person to do so so far). I think EVERYONE should be that way. You see someone else struggling? Help them out if you have the time. Someone's coming up after you after you passed through a door? Hold it. Shouldn't matter if it's a woman or not.

Now that I've said that, would I mind or get offended if there is some random guy who does some chivalrous act for me? Hell no, cuz that would just make me a douche. I don't feel that they think I'm to weak to do it myself. I think they're showing KINDNESS, and hell no if you think I'm going to forsake some kindness just because he may have some traditional viewpoints.

So I guess I could say is just go for it. Everyone is going to be mixed. Either find you as some macho head sexist, a real sweetheart, or just some guy who felt like holding the door open for them.

• I'm not a fan of being courted. My ideal courting ritual consists of a lot of talking. I don't like the whole being taken out to dinner thing, it's too awkward for me and makes me feel uncomfortable. I'd rather hang out with them like a friend first, and then let things progress by growing closer. Just because you pay for me, doesn't make me like you anymore than before, just because you held the door open, makes you polite and I respect that, but should be done for other people anyway (I hold the door open for people who are right behind) Flowers look nice but they die, I would like something I need.

That could just be me though.

• How long would you like to be friends with the person?

• Sounds good but do you really want to reveal your bad traits before a relationship? I won't lie , that is probably just you.

• Yes I do. The way I see it, if you don't like it, don't waste your time or mine because it won't work. Why hide something until 3 months later? The crazy starts immediately lol

• Yes! Absolutely. It's really refreshing and nice when a guy even offers to hold a door open for a girl, or gives her his coat. It shows that he cares and isn't just 'in for a root'. (Though if you're into that, that's fine, this is my personal opinion).
    Personally I love just being made to feel nice and respected, and I'm sure most people will agree :]

• Most do agree. Is there anything in particular you like?

• Damn. I was asking for that. :P

• Hahaha! Also when a guy calls me ''beautiful' instead of 'hot'. Don't get me wrong, hot is always good to hear, but beautiful seems to be rarer these days, and I love it :D

• What does being polite and chivalrous have to do with feminism? Why are the two always linked and made out to be mutually exclusive? !

• Chivalry is generally seen as being specifically something you do for women because they're women. That's where feminism gets involved and becomes an issue.

• What I mean is sometimes guys do it and they get criticised for being sexist so they don't do it next time.

• I think anyone who criticises someone for having manners is just a twat.

• Definitely should! It still exist just not as common as it once was

• Do you think most girls would like it?

Also, what things in particular do you want?

• Yes they would. Holding the door open for me, helping me step up (i. e. while getting on a horse) etc

• I don't need chivalry. I like when people act like decent and kind people, and don't do it simply because I have a vagina. If you hold a door for me, I'll hold the next one for you. I don't need someone to act like my butler.

• Sure, if they like. I don't feel like I should force people into doing anything. It's a nice gesture they can do for me if they want to, but I sure don't want them thinking I "owe" them anything or people complaining that I want to be treated equally but I still want door opened for me.

• Ew fucking no, those things need to gooo! This is 2015, we r just as powerful as men. We get jobs in there same field and sometimes we d bosses of men so no I think things r perfect without it

• Yes! There are so many rude and selfish guys who are afraid of commitment now a days... its disgusting

• I want to be made to feel like a princess. Good old fashioned chivalry does that. And feeling like a princess does not take away from my sense of self worth nor does it make me feel helpless.

• How can a guy make you feel like a princess?

• Hold the door.
      Be polite.
      Car doors.
      Respect me.
      Respect and be interested in what I say/think. (He can disagree, just be respectful about it)
      Help with the chair when I sit at a table.
      Not leer at other women when he's with me.
      Not obsess in front of me about women who annoy me.

Probably other ways I can't think of right now.

• Sounds good. :)

Hopefully I meet a woman who will let me do that for her.

• Hahaha all that sappy stuff? No.
    I am my own woman.