Why are there so many incorrectly defined words on Google Search?

If you type an English word into Google Search, about 1 out of 100 are incorrectly defined, at least in part. Is Google really that bad at copying the dictionary?

Most Helpful Guy

• Google services are notoriously rife with errors of fact and omission, and this is just one example. In fairness, they do manage a great deal of content in attempting to make their site a one-stop shop for content, but it would behoove them to maybe spend some of the cash they spend on Segways and free massages on better fact checking.

Can anyone tell me what they did to their maps? The new service is almost unusable.

• I know they manage a lot of content, but they make all these claims to be a company of savants and gurus that they deserved to be called out for their errors, which are many.

What Girls Said 2

• Many words have different meanings.

• If it's that bad, try using an actual dictionary

• Oh trust me, I do, but if you type a word into Google Search, it will give you a definition by default.

• The internet is wonderful but it can't be relied upon to be 100% accurate

• Just get over it

What Guys Said 3

• Different dictionaries have different definitions. Which one should it copy in your opinion?

• LOL no, words have accepted definitions. That's pretty much the entire concept of a denotation. If you say that "abide" means "to be unable to tolerate (something)," you'd be flatly incorrect, which Google is.

• Your paste also listed the other definition. It also clearly states "informal".

• Point being, it is not incorrect.

• Dont you own a dictionary? It is faster than google.

• that is indeed one of the meanings the word has. a word can have multiple meanings you know

• No, it's an accepted meaning at all.

• According to Merriam-Webster:

Games
      Word of the Day
      Video
      Blog: Words at Play
      My Faves
      Popularity
      Save
      Dictionary
      abide
      verb \ə-ˈbīd\

: to accept or bear (someone or something bad, unpleasant, etc.)

: to stay or live somewhere

: to remain or continue
      Is It 'Attorney Generals'
      Or 'Attorneys General'? »
      abode
      \-ˈbōd\ or abid·edabid·ing
      Full Definition of ABIDE
      transitive verb
      1
      : to wait for : await
      2
      a : to endure without yielding : withstand
      b : to bear patiently : tolerate

• merriam has never been my dictionary of choice for exactly this reason