Do you think people can fall in love online?

• Yes, it is possible
  • No, it isn't

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, very possible, and Is... Possible, no Fairy tale about it.
    Over fours year ago, a man from Egypt found me on Facebook and we had started a whirlwind romance. After getting to know him and his family better on Skype, I then flew off to the magical land of Cairo where I stayed for 30 days. Things went so well I then returned 3 months later, where we ended up tying the knot at the Ministry of Justice. I remained for awhile, learning how to be a Muslim's wife.
    I am back in the states now, and although we are stayed married, LDR is One of the hardest Online to Have and to Uphold of any. It takes two special people to make the team effort and to have the patience, and if only One is making the concerted Effort, it can go dead like a duck in the water.
    I was Not the Team player, such as in the Good Second half, who Stayed Committed to the Online Commitment. My husband was far better, more loyal and with my own life, that I continued and even cheated on him, it put a big monkey wrench into our marriage, along with his family who still has this sour ball about me. I have not been to see him since I had left 3 years ago, for the Middle East is getting worse, but he continues to hang in there, loving me unconditionally, although we have many Breakups and Makeups.
    Yes, if someone Online as the right chemistry and you both get together to begin your Beguine of nursing and nurturing, it's Up to God and Mother Nature whether or not it is meant to be... Online or Off.
    With Facebook, my husband had always told me: I have never been through such Magic for me in my whole life.
    Good luck. xx

What Guys Said 57

• I'm sure people have fell in love with the idea of someone but true love that is, is something that can only exist once two people have met, at least once, people aren't the same up close as they are from afar.

That's my view on it, however there have been rare cases, were what I have said would be wrong, but they are so few and far between that I wouldn't count them, as opposed to the majority.

• i dont quite get what you mean by "the idea of someone"

if you meet someone in real life, you also get "an idea of them"

whats the difference?

• This guy said it. So I deleted my own answer lol.

• In this modern day society, I definitely KNOW it's possible for two people to fall in love online.

People already meet online for the most part. We email, look for jobs, text, etc. Almost everything these days is virtual. People can meet AND fall in love online.

• Yes I do. The only girl I ever truly loved was online. The difference is that in real life, you get distracted by hugs, kisses, and sex which can create an illusion of love. When you talk to someone online without physical distractions, yet you still look forward to hearing their voice every single day for months on end, that is the sign of true love.

• Saying "in love" is a very powerful thing. I don't know that this level of feeling can be achieved or not online.

That said, I completely believe that people can develop a love for a person online, which in it's own right is really special. It's just not "in love."

• It's tricky really because I once did fall in love with a girl online and then in person I just couldn't stand her at all, she was totally different and nothing like her online personality.

However the girl I'm with now I did fall in love with online again and even fell in love with her in person as well. So I guess it is possible

• Of course they can. My sister married someone she met on POF. com last year. I met someone on that same site and fell in love. We have been together for 5 months. Of course I met a lot of women that didn't go anywhere but that is what dating is all about.

• I have fallen for a girl on here. We have been chatting for some while now. Her personality is amazing. I have the utmost respect for her and admire her attitudes to all things. I am hoping we will meet very soon.

It has been mentioned in detail here already.

• yea it is
    but i wouldn't base that possibility on show catfish. If you meet a person online, that miraculously is incapable of purchasing a 20 dollar webcam at radio shack, then in all likelihood that person is a fake...

• I think it's possible, it just takes extra time, communication, and a lot of trust. I think you have to work for it a lot more.

• I found the most amazing girl in the world online. If anything ever happened to her, I don't know what I'd do. I love her, and life just wouldn't be the same ever again...

• Yes it's possible if i communicate with a girl by Google Hangouts or Skype face to face sure i will get feelings for her and we talk by chatting or emails it can happen,,

• Yup. I did. It was as deep a love as you see portrayed in movies. I didn't think that love like that was even possible until I first met my ex girlfriend.

• whether its online or not be grateful if you find love with someone.

• To fall in love I need to look that person right in the eyes, so I don't think I can fall in love with a person online, but I can develop attraction and mutual feelings for that person, but it always is way more fun in real life. My Brother has dated quite a few women he met online, which seems sooo weird to me.

• Yes everything can happen if love for one other is real. But in my case i have got just disappointment some were just interested in online sex and one girl for whom i invested a whole year to develop our relationship. She never even gave her cell no or not even video called so that i can see her. She just used to chat on google hangouts and used to shared her pixs saying it was hers but have never seen her in any video or stuff. Dont know she was real or what. She said she was from new york and a student of columbia university her name isabella hasting she told me

• Encountering someone and deciding to meet each other irl, sure. Falling in love online, no. Everyone loves to be loved or feel wanted and this online stuff makes all kinds of things convenient but when you let your impulses go and get involved in that capacity you're teasing yourself in a very awful way. Such a small scope of communication and in one medium. You could call it LoveLite or Diet Love or something ( hey, shh. I tried )

Would you paint with one color?
    Would you write a song with one note?
    etc.

• Yeah i haven't seriously fallen in love online but i have crushed on a couple of GaG girls

I dont think i would be able to, i would want to see the person and feel them before

• It's possible. Not recommended though.

• Yup @genie23 when I saw her I knew that she's the girl who won't hate me coz of my face scars 😜😜

• You can fall in love with a person that you met online but you can't fall in love with a person you've only talked to online. I'd be very wary and suspicious if someone fell in love with me before I met them in person.

• Love haves no border. I'm in love with my long distance girlfriend. From my experience is twice of harder to keep love going online, there are many things that make online relationships more fragile.

• No. Takes a real interaction to develop love

• I'm not sure. I suppose it's possible. But I find it a lot easier and better to fall in love in person.

• It evidently has. Is it good? Usually not.

• yes, i think its possible, younger guys and girls are more prone to this, i would say its more of an infatuation and not coming across the right person in real life. it may or may not work out in reality. but, as far as falling in love is concerned, its possible

• Yes I have and she with me... til Life interfered and thrashed all to Hell. So far it's been 50/50. Another gal came to visit me last year. We got a room in the a fab Hotel/casino and shared our time. We met online also.

• I say yes cuz if you see enough pictures of them & chat enough to get to know them, you could really think highly enough of them to the point of love

• Sure, but it doesn't happen often.

• Sure I don't see why not:) me and @vishna did!

• not without ever having met.

• More from Guys
    27

What Girls Said 60

• Growing up I was a huge nerd (still am) and one guy I played online games with all the time asked for my number. I was like 15 so obviously I did. We talked every night for several months. I was crazy in love with him and it was heartbreaking because we both knew we could never meet in real life and see if we were even a match. I played it cool for most of the time, and we did eventually drift apart.

Long story short, yes, you can fall in love online... but it's not all that great.

I'm still friends with him today. He's great, we're cool and we have a great friendship. As an adult I know that he and I would have definitely broken up (for several reasons lol) but 15 year old me will always be in love with that 16 year old gamer from Ohio :)

• I think experiencing real, intense feelings of lust and like is possible, but not actual true love (unless maybe if skyping and talking on the phone are largely involved). There are just so many unknowns when talking to someone online. Often times, people unintentionally come off differently through text than they do in person.

It's definitely possible for two people who met online to fall in love once they actually meet in person and see each other in motion, hear each other's voices, notice each other's mannerisms, see how well they connect, and get a real feel for chemistry.

• If you asked me this question 5 years ago I would have said yes.

But now I think no.
    A relationship cannot be built online, sure you can have an emotional connection but how can you fall in love with someone you have never touched or even been in the same room with?

This is just my perspective on the matter... my boyfriend he lives in the same town as me... in fact 10 minutes away via car but we actually met online and he knew people that I knew... we were friends first and then one night I just asked if he wanted to come on a night out with me and my friends (some of which he knew) and that's how we first met. Sure we got to know each other but the very moment I saw him right in front of me I fell for him... no still pictures and selfies.

I have had online relationships before and it never worked out for me, sure I had a strong emotional connection with them at some point but nothing compares to the guy who can be right next to you in a heartbeat instead of the "I wish I was there xxx" text.

• Well yeah it is possible... I never thought it was possible until I tried it... I thought it was a fantasy at the beginning and that people that fall in love online are "dumb" , ha! Little did I know that someday it will be my turn ! 🙈 ... I'm currently in a long distance relationship.. And its my first relationship.. Anyways yep its true and its possible 😊 but its a bit risky so u have to be careful at the beginning!

• Some have fell in love.
    But, I don't think I can fall in love with someone I've never even met. I've had a crush, yes, but love? No, I don't think that will ever happen.
    I need to spend time with him, hug him and all. Without, this I don't think my feelings will develop for someone?

• No because you can be whoever you want to be online. You're falling for th version they make up, not for the real them

• I agree. But to be fair, people can and often do pretend to be someone they're not in person as well.

• Yes, unfortunately that's true :(

• I believe it's possible but it doesn't even come near the experience and "butterflies" you have when you're about to fall in love with someone you know in real life and I wouldn't really consider the Internet a place to find the love of my life.

• absolutely the feeling you get when you see that persons eyes can never be replaced by any online experience, even when you talk to the person on Skype, fb etc.

• yeah it happens all the time.

• No, only infatuation.

• yes i think its possible

• I think it's more of falling in love with the idea of falling in love or the idea of being in love with that person. I don't think you can truly fall in love with someone you have never seen in person before. I do believe that you can develop a crush of become infatuated with the person though.

• Mhm :) i'm online dating right now! We see each other every month for a couple days. I loooooove him <3

• They can fall in love with the idea of that person. Without having actually met them in person and spending time with them, you can't conclude that.

• Yes my aunt met her girlfriend online. And her girlfriend is the nicest person I have ever met. She's apart of the family now.

• Yep, I'm a testimony to it as we speak.

• It happens all the time. It is often falling for the idea of the person rather than the actual person though. People lie on the internet and pretend to be something they are often not.

• lets just say " i had a feeling for this one guy"
    because i got allong with him pretty welll...
    he was just like me, we like the same things and so on!!
    so i did have feelings for him~!!! crazyyyy haha
    but true

• In my opinion, people fall in love with the idea of someone online. To truly love someone, as in be in love with them, you have to be with them in person. To be able to get to know their personality, their quarks, and the overall "real" them.

• Yes. Actually that is how I met my boyfriend. Luckily he lived in my area and we met. We've been in love ever since.

• Yes, it's possible. But it will not last if they don't like all other aspects of them that you can only know by spending time with them offline.

• I fell in love and I met him online and believe me I can't go a day or week without hearing his voice.

• Absolutly possible. Been there done that :D

• I suppose it may be possible for some people, but I feel you don't really know a person until you live together. I have been with my fiance for quite some time now and I'm still learning about him everyday. I have also met people online and when we met in person they we're nothing like they were when I talked with them through internet. Truth it, you can't trust someone you don't truly know.

• I did once. I can assure you it was real love even though it didn't work out in the end. I know some success stories though. So it's definitely real.

• You can but you really can never be sure until you meet them in person

• I've fallen for a guy more than 7000 miles away from me.. It's hard

• They fall in love with what they see

• Yeah, my parents met online and they're still going strong.

• My sis nd her husband met in this way.
    So i believe it and i met with my boyfriend through online. miracles happen

• I'm in a long distant relationship now. Well, we've been together for 5 years (so far). Yes, there were some hiccups but we got over it. Looking forward to see each other in real once <3

• More from Girls
    30